Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #1 
2ndName

Build Assistance Request - 5 Gallon

Hello all,

New member here and have taken the plunge to adopt a betta fish. I've placed an order for a Fluval V, 5 gallon tank through Petco due to their 17% off this weekend. I wanted to start purchasing some gear prior to the arrival of the tank so that it'll be ready for me to clean, setup and treat ASAP. This is where I need the expertise of boards members. There are way too many choices and I rather not place the wrong order from the get go.

I know that I need a heater, I was wondering if anyone have any recommendation for one that will work perfectly on the Fluval V.

What about backgrounds? I'm wanting to have a black background, any brand recommendation? I've also seen some real looking foam backgrounds, anyone tried one of these?

Definitely wanting black sand and will most likely use a driftwood as a centerpiece. Unsure about the plants just yet since I do not know if the LED on the Fluval V will be sufficient for live plants.
2ndName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #2 
Crowntails

The light on the Fluval is sufficient for low light plants such as Java Ferns, Crypts, Java Moss, and Anubias nana.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Check out the special thread for Fluval Spec owners for some ideas.
I would hesitate to use a black background as my Bettas Ted to flare excessively at black/dark background and when I wear black clothing. The background in the photo is a light silver "grass/hay pattern" plactic placemat from IKEA.

50W is fine, I have no problems with Aqueon, you might be able to hide it in the same slot where the pump is. Other 50W that people recommend are Eheim, Hydor.

My Fluval SPEC V has no problems growing low light plants, Mario moss, giant hydrophilia, crypt, pgymy chain sword, wisteria. It is the nitrate that got my wisteria in trouble as I learned from here. In planning your plants, research and make sure that the plants are compatiable in temp and light needs.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 
AkaRyu

I wouldn't recommend a black background, my betta will flare up so big whenever i walk by with a black shirt, or even when I take pictures with my phone (which is black). I'm guessing he sees his reflection against the black, so a black background could stress him out.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #5 
2ndName

I didn't think of thank, AkaRyu. Thank you for the tip.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

I believe it's simply the color black that bettas don't like. Anything black that I put near my betta's tank, reflective or not, he flares. I've actually tried using my camera strap (since it's black) to get him to flare while taking photos of him, but I've never caught one still photo of him flaring. >w>
bettacrazygirl86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #7 
2ndName

Oh wow, I'll keep an eye on that. Anyone know if I should get a heater for the Fluval V? I'm reading around and some are saying not to use a heather for a 5G??
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #8 
Thomasdog

I use a heater for my 5g, never had a problem, and its been going for months.... Here, I'll tell you what kind I have, just gimmie a hour or so.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #9 
AkaRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
Oh wow, I'll keep an eye on that. Anyone know if I should get a heater for the Fluval V? I'm reading around and some are saying not to use a heather for a 5G??
I have a heater for my 3g, so I dont see why you shouldnt
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #10 
2ndName

Thanks,will definitely get a heater. Is it okay to keep the heater inside the filter box? I've seen some build with this type of placement. Trying to keep it looking minimalist and clean as much as possible.