Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 
ChristyB

Sand, Gravel or Stones

I am currently using the gravel we got when purchased the tank. I cant remember the brand but I have noticed more and more pieces floating up to the top when I rinse it out. I have also notice some of the color on the gravel is coming off. This is starting to worry me.

I have been looking at some posts on sand and not sure if this is the way I would like to go. I have a 3 gallon tank and do a weekly change of 75%. I want to keep the cleaning on the easy side so my daughter can take it over soon since this is her fish.

I have not seen any post on stones and how they fair in tanks or if they are hard to clean. The dont seem like they would but I didnt think sand or gravel would be either.

I would appreciate any help on this. Yes it is filtered.
ChristyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
Crowntails

I like the look of sand and prefer it over gravel. Has a nice natural look to me. I'd go with black sand so you betta really stands out.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
motherpeters

I personally have a white sand in my hospital tank, and absolutely hate it. I feel like I can never get it clean enough, and it made the under gravel filter difficult (impossible) to use correctly. I plan on changing it out for decorative glass stones in the near future.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 
ChristyB

Crowntails, I was starting to think of doing the sand and even doing the black sand since his gravel is black with a few neon colored ones mixed in. He loves to go down and look at the colored ones from time to time. We have also never seen him do it but apparently he would move his gravel around and put some in his cave. We can only assume it is him doing it since I clean it out every time I clean the tank and it always has some more back in it before the end of the week.

Motherpeters, that is my worry and since I am going to be hopefully handing it over to my daughter to do I want easy as possible. She is only 10 but she wants to make sure does it right and gets very worried if something isnt done right. That is why I was thinking the glass stones would be a good way to go but was not sure if they had any draw backs. The only one we see in switching is he cant play with them like he does the gravel. But with the gravel starting to loose color on it (and some of the other decorations in his tank which have been removed now) and the water readings are off then normal.

I am just trying to get the parameters of the tank back under control and this might be one of the causes of it. I was also thinking of purchasing a Marimo ball and an air stone.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Gravel: easy to clean (just dig the siphon right in and let the dirt get sucked up), comes in a range of colours, hides dirt well. :)

Sand: not as easy to clean (you have to hover the siphon just over the surface of the sand to only suck up the dirt that gathers on top), generally comes in only white, natural or black.

Stones/marbles etc: Easy to clean (just hover your siphon near any dirt you see), but also easy to accientally disarrange, come in all the colours of the rainbow, show up dirt pretty well.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I've done the glass marbles, gravel, and I attempted sand. I hate sand. I never could get it to rinse well enough, it was a pain to take out of the tank, and it killed my filter. Now, other people do sand and it works great...so I'm probably just doing something wrong, but I will NOT attempt it again. ;)

Sand does look lovely though...

Marbles are good, they're fairly easy to clean, but a bit harder, and some gunk can get stuck down underneath and is harder to clean out.

I prefer gravel overall. I have some nice white gravel (no color), and it's worked really well, no color chipping and it sets off the tank nicely. Also, I've heard that gravel gives better surface area for the BB to cling to if you're going to cycle.

That's my two cents, and good luck to you whatever your decision!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #7 
ChristyB

Has anyone else experienced gravel loosing its color or chipping it off?

I think I will pass on the sand since I am trying to make this fairly easy but I am still tossing new gravel or glass stones. I am not worried about the stones being out of place since we always move the gravel around to make high and low spots or making it flat just to give him some difference. He loves to hunt out the differences in his tank after a water change.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #8 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyB View Post
Has anyone else experienced gravel loosing its color or chipping it off?

I think I will pass on the sand since I am trying to make this fairly easy but I am still tossing new gravel or glass stones. I am not worried about the stones being out of place since we always move the gravel around to make high and low spots or making it flat just to give him some difference. He loves to hunt out the differences in his tank after a water change.
Yes, mine did. Then I opted for no substrate for awhile. And ended up going back to gravel but uncolored.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23704509

I have this in both my tanks, love it.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 
ChristyB

Thank you Kithy I might just try that. I thought about using nothing but he does love looking at it.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #10 
motherpeters

That's a really good price for two five pound bags. I'll have to look into it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Yes, mine did. Then I opted for no substrate for awhile. And ended up going back to gravel but uncolored.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23704509

I have this in both my tanks, love it.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote