Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1 
quietlythundering

Indian Almond leaves Question!

Hello! I've heard great things about Indian Almond Leaves, and I am genuinely curious and eager to use them for my bettas! However, I'd like some advice on how to use them and how much to use since I have different tank sizes for each of my bettas (Two Large kritter keepers, one medium kritter keeper, and a 1.5 gal.) I'd also like to hear any testimonials on their effects, if you guys don't mind sharing
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love them but have just started using them. I use one leaf per ten gallons. cut it down for less then that. One of my bettas jumped the divider, and using a combo of clean, warm water and ial he has been healing quite quickly.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #3 
quietlythundering

So it has good healing properties?
I forgot to add that I clean all of the tanks twice a week, every Sunday and Thursday, 100% water changes (I use API's stress coat and stress zyme, but once I run out, I'm considering switching to Seachem's Prime.) Would I have to use different leaf sections, or could I reuse the same leaf bit for a couple of water changes?
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #4 
Sakejing

i was wonderin about that too. My bettas are in a 1 gallon,since im not sure ill just throw them away.I hope someone will have an answer for this
Sakejing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 
Nicci Lu

From using them in QT, I have noticed that IAL loses it's ability to color the water with tannins after a 100% WC. From this, I surmise that the other beneficial properties are also diminished. I would use a new leaf section for each WC.

Honestly, I couldn't really attest to their vaunted healing properties, though I do make sure I always have some in my tanks. It's hard to tell if it's the IAL, the vita-chem, or the stressguard (for illness and injury) I use that helps. I like the color IAL imparts to the water, they make a great surface for biofilm that my otos can eat, and great hidey holes for my kuhli loaches.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 06-01-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info added
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I use mine quite heavily, because I like to cover the substrate with them. I must have had about 4 in my 3 gallon hospital tank, and I have at least 3 or 4 at any one time in my 16 gallon biotope. I'll be upping that number as time goes on.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Here's a link to a study done in the antibacterial properties and toxicity of IAL:

"The in vitro Antibacterial Activity and Ornamental Fish Toxicity of the Water Extract of Indian Almond Leaves (Terminalia catappa Linn.)"
http://vet.kku.ac.th/journal/pdf/jv181/4.pdf
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #8 
wish4coner

I put about 10-12 in a large pot, boil it and make extract with it. That way, you don't have to keep taking the wilted leaf out and you still get the benefit. You put in about 10 Grade A++ leafs (I get large) and, a small boiling pot (like you would use to steam or make a small amount of spaghetti. I put the leaves in, bring it to a boil and then, turn the heat off, letting the leaves sit. You get about a 1/4 gallon tub and, it's easy to just put the amount in that you need. It's like buying the conditioner extract but, costs you about a dollar a bowl.
I use the leaves as well but, I only put one in. Mostly cuz, they like to lie on them until it sinks.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effects, indian almond leaves