Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Urgent, food flooded in tank

Okay, so at 7AM maybe earlier then that! We foster this little girl named Maria, she's 3 years old. Anyways, she always does some worse things because she's going through what we call 'Terrible 2s' anyways, at 7AM I do not know HOW THE HECK she even did this, but got 2 containers of my fish food, the small "Betta fish food" there like these worm things ( not blood worms ) and then she got my huge container of flakes, she dumped both of them in the tank, my WHOLE tank was covered in fish food, all over the gravel, everywhere and I just did a 100% water change 2 days ago My water was perfect.

I cleaned up the tank, but there's still pieces of fish food that will come up, or my Betta Flame will find them and eat them, it makes me so mad, he's pretty bloated, not the REALLY huge bloated, just a medium size round belly, kinda like something that's almost going obese don't know how to 'really' say this or explain...

What can I do? I don't want to do ANOTHER 100% water change? I don't have a gravel vaccum, my filter is a Whisper 40i or looks like that one, anyways it's not helping as much, the water is 'kinda' cloudy, but my fish is bloated, laying down, breathing little fast, and he will move if I come up to the tank and try to swim around, but then when I leave goes to lay down, I put a castle in his tank took out a plant just recently that had this green slime growing all over it, like Green Jello and a plant inside it, it was kinda weird so I threw it out, and replaced it with this castle I got for a $1 from the dollar store, he likes going in it, fits in it perfectly.

Anyways, what should I do?!?!
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
farmgirl598

uhhhhh.....never mind what i'd do to the kid.....but if i were you, i'd get the fish into another safe food free container, and perform as many 100 percent water changes as needed.
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would cup the Betta and do another major cleaning on the tank with that much fish food being added all at once. Filter media might need to be cleaned really good or changed all together. The Betta is in distress from overeating and water quality due to the fish food.
I missed the tank size and how long it had been established-but you might need to start over or keep the Betta in QT while the tanks biofilters takes care of the mess biologically along with some manual help.

If she still seem distressed after a 24h fast in QT or she starts to get worse-I would start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and tannin treatment.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Agree- you really gotta keep doing those water changes in there, and get the betta out.. I recently lost 7 fish to someone in the house overfeeding them, no where near the amount your fish was fed. The toxins build up incredibly fast.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 
Link592

So you guys want me to do another 100% water change until it's all out, I did get most of out, not all of it, but there are little tiny pieces, and I do know that ammonia level can build up, I am just low on Aqua+ which makes the water safe for him. It's so hard to get some of it out. Well the "Betta Fish Food" which are those worms, because they get all sticky.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
Crowntails

Get him out and do a 100% water change. I heard that if you leave the water sitting out for more than 24 hours, the chlorine gets evaporated.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #7 
Link592

The tank is 3 Gallons, yes I know it's not big yet, but we do have a 10 gallon which recently housed my turtle, but we gave him to a friend, but we constantly see him anyways. So the tank is a 'bit' dirty, even after so much scrubbing & cleaning, also the light is very strong maybe like a UV light? And the filter is to powerful & we keep it downstairs, but in my opinion I rather not use it, and bringing it up stairs for our living room will bother my sister, because not only that but the tank which houses my betta replaced the lamp for our living room.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 
Link592

Okay, right now I only I only have a cup, but I also have a 1/2 gallon which use to house my old betta which was old and pretty well lived in a cup his whole life, passed away after few days after a water change, but I am afraid to use it due, to that day after doing a water change >.<
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

@Crowntails - Yes, chlorine evaporates. But municipal water may contain chloramines or heavy metals, which are also harmful to fish, and those don't evaporate. That's why it's best to use a conditioner that says it removes/neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

@Link592 - How much conditioner do you have left? Can you measure it out, and determine how much water it will treat? If you're lucky, it'll be enough to treat 3 gallons, which means you can do the 100% water change..... If it isn't to treat the full amount, I'd still do a 100% water change, but only put in the amount of new water that you have conditioner for - then run out to the store and get another bottle, so you can replace the rest. For example, if you have enough to treat 2 gallons: remove all the current water, add 2 gal of new treated water, put the betta into this, and then go to the store to get a new bottle. When you get home, treat and add the 3rd gal.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 
Myates

Just follow what OFL said.. place the fish in a container.. cup he came in, etc... do a 100% water change, rinse the gravel.. rinse the filter media really well - if you have a spare place it in the tank.. then place the fish back into the 3g tank. The 3g isn't cycled, don't rinse off the decorations, just place those back into the tank and any beneficial bacteria stuck on them will help seed the filter.. and since you rinsed off the gravel there should be no food left.

And there ya go.. clean tank and no worries.. keep an eye on her, don't feed her for a couple of days to make sure she digests the food she ate.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta might die, bloated, fish food