Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1 
Mashimon

Female sorority question, need to move one of the girls.

So far the girls have been getting along pretty well. However, one of my crowntails, who seems to really be turning into the leader, is picking on one of my veiltails. My veiltail is already missing a small chunk of fin. I obviously need to separate the two. The rest of the girls seem to leave the veiltail alone if I move the crowntail to a breeder enclosure.
However, if I move the veiltail to the breeder, my crowntail is still pretty violent to everyone equally, but does not take chunks out of anyone else's fins.

Which one should I move? I'd like a peaceful tank for as long as possible. I'll be putting the one I move into a divided tank with a pretty peaceful male.
Mashimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2 
Nothingness

How long has the tank been setup? After a week with my sorority things have calmed down. I made the mistake of 20 female in the 55g and 3 were mysteriously murdered during the night, but now that there is only 17 left its mellowed out ALOT. nature finds a way to bring balance and harmony. Too many fish can be as bad as too few
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
Mashimon

I have 6 girls, 5 now that one is in a breeder tank. They're in a 29g tank with a few Neons. There is a 7th but she's still young, and I'm afraid to put her in with the fully mature girls yet. Should I get more girls? I have a lot of plants and hiding spots along the bottom. I really don't want to have to let my veil tail be murdered for them to get along.
Oh, and just less than a week. Approx 5 days.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 
Stone

Not all girls are cut out for sorority life, I would put the offender in the net for a few days the "timeout" may help you will just really need to keep an eye on them.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Agree with Stone that some females just need their own apartment. For now you could float the tough girl in a clear plastic container for a few days it seems to mellow them out a little bit then try again. Your in the very early stage of sorority and that is usually the hardest time. The negative energy from my s tank was nuts the first 3 weeks but in time they all got along pretty well. Lots of floating plants and as much vertical bottom to top as possible to take away sight lines. I put weights on hornwart stalks to get the vertical coverage.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6 
Stone

I am dealing with a "bad girl" right now myself her and another fish were being added, she is around the same size as the current top 2 females, If you watch them long enough you will figure out who the bosses are, the smaller one fit right into the group of 10 with no troubles, this larger one was being a bit aggressive to the smaller girls, blowing her face up and flaring, head butting all the usualy things they will do so I put her back in the cup for a day, now she ios back out of prison and back in the tank she seems to be a bit more mellow, when adding new girls I always float them in the tank for 12 hours or more so all the girls can come and see them and they can see all the girls it seems to make it go better, I think dumping them in right away would not go as well....plus I have a 6 inch rainbow shark in the tank when things get bad he usually comes out and reminds the girls who the boss really is lol it's pretty funny when the girls poke their heads into his cave he chases them out

Last edited by Stone; 03-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

You said that you have a lot of hiding places along the bottom - I think that could be the issue. Sororities need cover on all levels, as bettas like to swim all over. Tall plants, floating plants, mid-height plants etc are all very important for a successful sorority. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #8 
Mashimon

Ah, thanks for that. I guess I wasn't thinking it was as necessary. I currently have a floating log, and I just now made two of my plants longer by decreasing the amount of stalks, and making them taller. Would this be acceptable? To just get the taller plants, and populate my tank with them?

After removing the tough girl to a breeding enclosure for a few hours, even, she calmed down. She's still tough, but she's less nippy, less often.
I have 7 girls in my 29g tank right now. If I want to add more, how many can I safely add without worrying about overcrowding? Right now, there is an African Dwarf frog hanging around with them, but that's it.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

In a 29 gallon you could go up to 10 no problem. :) Tall plants will definitely help break up the aggressiveness - multiple logs may also help.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #10 
Stone

Then general rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish, so you can have quite a few I am not sure of the bio-load of the frog, you can add two or more at a time you do not want to add one at a time just float them in the cup in the tank for 5-6 hours or longer so the rest of them can come and see them it cuts down on the whole tank full of girls bum rushing the newly added ones they kind of lose interest in them after awhile. You will see for the first hour or so the girls will be all coming to see them and after awhile they will just ignore them for the most part

Tags
female, soritory, sorority female community