Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #11 
MikeJones

I am getting ready to do this same thing. I am wanting to do a sorority right planned out so it is a success. I will enjoy watching advice that is given here.
MikeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #12 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimt View Post
So my first question is how many girls can I do in a 20g long? I'd like to do some other fish too. I was thinking 6-8 female bettas and some other fish. What other fish would you recommend? Can I do more bettas than 8? Any other tips? If you were building a sorority from scratch, what would be important for you to include?
You should probably consider 10 or 12 your limit. That way it's over a gallon of water per fish. There's a thread here on fish compatibility that would probably make for a good read. I wanted neon tetras with my fish, but I'm waiting until I make my own sorority for that because I currently have males and a divided tank and I've been told neons really need room to zoom lol. I also want red cherry shrimp eventually, I'm told they breed well and are fun to watch. I do have a little albino pleco for algae eating, and my betta doesn't even look at him.

I'm still slightly new at this, so I don't have a lot of advice, but if I had that big a tank, that's pretty much what I'd do. =]
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #13 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Xaltd, there's no need for that. I was addressing the OP on the non-assumption thing, anyway.
No need for what? I didn't answer her question: The "DUH" is for ME, blabbling on about testing, when her question was about assuming the water was soft.
Sheesh, I'm a nice person! I would never insult anyone. Assuming things has just cost me fish and $ and time- just trying to share. you've got it covered, though.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

I'm so sorry, I thought you were Duh-ing at me! :p But, there's no need to duh at yourself, either.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #15 
Fishy Mom

LOL at the duh-ing confusion.

How's the planning going Kimt? What plants & fish were you thinking about so far?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #16 
Xaltd1

Pay no attention to the woman with the yellow fish
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #17 
percyfyshshelley

I just wanted to subscribe to this thread because I'm starting my first sorority as well. Duh :)
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #18 
Xaltd1

Update us!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

This thread is making me laugh. :) lol

Having the test kit will not only help you with your water hardness, but it will also help you on your need to make sure your tank will be cycled. Most important things in a community tank or a tank with more than 1 fish; Cycle & Quarantine.

The number of girls all depends on your other inhabitants. If you want cories, let's say 5. The number of girls will need to be 7-8. If you want tetras which need a group of 6-8, the number of girls will need to be 6 maximum.

Add as many decorations/plants as you can put in, also make sure it's to your liking. Cories, tetras, some small loaches, even snails or shrimp will be good tankmates.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #20 
jesssan2442

I would go with some type of cories and tetras but they are just my favorite plus you could have a different type of tetra besides neons if you wanted I'm thinking of doing flame tips in my next tank
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote