Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #1 
Arch
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exclamation 1st batch of fries - Need advice

Hi guys,

My eggs just hatched about 1 1/2 days ago. I remove the male Betta, Zeus from the tank already. I also reduced the water level up to +-1cm so the fries could breathe for air. I also started feeding a lil microworms.

The fries are already free swimming btw, but most of them stay at the bottom of the tank though. Is this normal?

How do I maintain the cleanliness of the water in the tank? Like simple steps of what I can do to reduce the mortality rate of the fries?
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 
valen1014
Member
 
valen1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, FL
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I will leave this for the breeding experts here ^^; But I just wanted to add that betta frys don't start breathing from the air until 3-6 weeks when the laberynth fully develops. Congrats again and good luck!
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 
Leroy
New Member
 
Leroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Hi guys,

My eggs just hatched about 1 1/2 days ago. I remove the male Betta, Zeus from the tank already. I also reduced the water level up to +-1cm so the fries could breathe for air. I also started feeding a lil microworms.

The fries are already free swimming btw, but most of them stay at the bottom of the tank though. Is this normal?

How do I maintain the cleanliness of the water in the tank? Like simple steps of what I can do to reduce the mortality rate of the fries?
Once the fry are free swimming you can do a water change. I would start out with a small 50% water change and then once the fry are about 2 weeks old start doing 90% water changes. Its okay if the fries are staying at the bottom they will eventually get up sooner or later
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #4 
Arch
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
Once the fry are free swimming you can do a water change. I would start out with a small 50% water change and then once the fry are about 2 weeks old start doing 90% water changes. Its okay if the fries are staying at the bottom they will eventually get up sooner or later
Hi Leroy,

Thank you for your reply. Ok sure. So how often do I have to perform the 50% water changes for the next 2 weeks? Every 3-4 days?
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Daily water changes using a drip system to add in the new water -

Need to siphon the bottom of the tank daily with the water changes (usually recommended to do is within an hour after each feeding - 3-4 feedings per day)... as the live food die off and rot in there, can cause bacteria to grow and there is word that some of the bacteria from some of the food cause the fish to not grow ventrals due to being on the bottom of the tank with the bacteria.

Daily water changes as they release a hormone to stunt growth, also don't want ammonia to build up which is very deadly to fry their first month.

I use airline tubing to siphon - a clear straw over one end to help guide it to where I want to go, will also allow you to see any fry that is sucked up. A finger held by the other end (over the bucket) to stop flow if you suck up a fry. Siphon everything off the bottom, then finish by siphoning off the top of the water.
I do the one large one once a day and siphon the bottom about an hour or so after feeding once the live foods settle to the bottom and start dying.

You would want to drip the new water in, as adding new water that isn't exactly the same can cause mass shock and death. The pH would have to be the same, all chemistry have to be the same, etc. If you use a drip system then it adds in slowly giving time for the fry to adjust to the new parameters and changes.

I have yet to come across a dead fry by doing it this way.

If you don't use a sponge filter and/or live plants then you really need to keep up on the water changes.

Water quality is VERY important to fry, along with live foods and feedings often, proper temp, etc.

Fry start to develop their labyrinth organs around 7 weeks of age, humidity is very important for this. Make sure you have a glass canopy that is tight fitting, or use seran wrap.

Last edited by Myates; 03-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
Leroy
New Member
 
Leroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Hi Leroy,

Thank you for your reply. Ok sure. So how often do I have to perform the 50% water changes for the next 2 weeks? Every 3-4 days?
Yes every 3-4 days
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #7 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
o.O In the first month they are the most fragile.. add in the hormone they produce that stunts their growth, daily water changes is typically recommended.. every 3-4 days is for an adult. I have yet to lose a fry, find a dead one, mass deaths, etc, by keeping up on the water changes.. I have always been told those who do go days between changes easily lose a bunch of fry within the first month. Every 3-4 days is recommended on juveniles who have been moved from the fry tank and is much older/bigger.. everyone does things differently, I just go based on many successful breeders, people who breed to show, and my own experience.

Up to you, but I would get more info, talk to some more breeders before waiting so long between water changes..

Simple info on raising fry created by a great breeder..

This is also a good one to follow.. I know this breeder, she is knowledgeable.

Last edited by Myates; 03-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 
Arch
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
o.O In the first month they are the most fragile.. add in the hormone they produce that stunts their growth, daily water changes is typically recommended.. every 3-4 days is for an adult. I have yet to lose a fry, find a dead one, mass deaths, etc, by keeping up on the water changes.. I have always been told those who do go days between changes easily lose a bunch of fry within the first month. Every 3-4 days is recommended on juveniles who have been moved from the fry tank and is much older/bigger.. everyone does things differently, I just go based on many successful breeders, people who breed to show, and my own experience.

Up to you, but I would get more info, talk to some more breeders before waiting so long between water changes..

Simple info on raising fry created by a great breeder..

This is also a good one to follow.. I know this breeder, she is knowledgeable.
Daily water changes. Hmmp ok noted. Btw Myates, I have a friend who's whole batch of fries didn't have ventral fins when they grow up. Now I know what's the problem already! Changing water is gonna be so difficult with so many fries swimming here and there...sigh...

I plan to add "API Stress Coat +" to the ageing water before slowly adding it to the new spawn. This is because my current spawn is living in the water with stress coat already.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator
 
indjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1cm water? . . . . you can add water (about 50%) until tank is full or is the height you want. Deeper tank/water makes it easier to siphon water only until fry is big enough to avoid tube. Then you could siphon floor.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 
Arch
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ok noted. Btw, is there anything I can do to accelerate the growth of the fries...like super fast?? I'm feeding microworms 3x a day and ensure i siphon all rotten food, wastage and dirt.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baby betta;fries;

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Batch... are gone.. Johnificent Betta Memorials 5 05-15-2011 09:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.