Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 
Mahsfish

Thoughts on this pair

What are your guys thoughts on this pair? They are both from LogisticGuy's latest spawn. Sorry for sideways pic
Attached Images

Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 
Mahsfish

Oh nvm. Pic is upright
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The female is good, banana's colors are good and fins are ok. That being said, I have warned you on the other thread about the risks in spawning Banana. Personally I wouldn't do it, but I can't exactly stop you from doing it.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #4 
Mahsfish

I know. Just for the pair itself. Saying they both have no health problems. Like I had said if this does seem the he had sbd I won't be breeding him. But for now I'm just looking on opinions of the pair having that they are both healthy disease free fish
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

What are your goals.

I can't see the male - try using a dark background. Thus far I see he has split ventrelas - not good. his top line could be better. Your female has better body form.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

It looks like neither of these have a full 180 spread. I assume they are meant to be halfmoons. Because of that alone I would say no. I am not a fan of the male at all, things have been pointed out, split ventral's are bad so he's not breeding worthy. The female is okay but I am not that keen on her either.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 
Mahsfish

They both have full 180 spread. And what is wrong with the split ventrals? I'm new to grading bettas and what traits are desirable.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I can tell you your boy does not have a full 180 spread unless he isn't fully flared out in that picture. Split ventral's are bad because it's a deformity, those fish couldn't be shown and if many offspring got the same thing any serious buyer wouldn't want it because they can't be breed. More than likey you would end up with a lot of fish you would have to give away to walmart, petco, or petsmart for free.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #9 
Mahsfish

Ok I've never heard about split ventrals being an issue. I will post pics of him in full flare and spread.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #10 
Mahsfish

The ventrals are not perfect. Ventral defects may include: uneven length, a ventral that curls or that is bent, or even lack of ventrals altogether. It is quite common for bettas to not have perfect ventrals, especially as they mature and the ventrals grow longer. I wouldn’t worry about such defects, because they are not genetically transmissible. Meaning that even if your betta has no ventrals at all (which would be your worst case scenario), it will produce normal bettas with ventrals. Many have attempted to start a strain of bettas that would have no ventrals, breeding selectively bettas with such trait, but couldn’t produce offspring of the likes. So as you see, ventrals defects are harmless.

Found this on the web.