Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

Still no breeder will buy something with split ventrals simply because if it is genetic then you can destroy a perfectly great show quality bloodline. I personally know several breeders who cull anything with deformed ventrals such as split or missing, even having one longer than the other they cull them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #12 
Mahsfish

More pics
Attached Images

Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #13 
Mahsfish

But if it says ventral defects are harmless, the. If I bred this fish then culled those fry with defects I would be fine? As the ventral defects wouldn't be genetic? Please correct me if I am wrong. As I said I am inexperienced in grading bettas
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #14 
LadyVictorian

Ventral defects are harmless if you never intend to show them or sell them to serious breeders and just keep them for pets. They will not kill the fish but they can not be shown nor will people who breed show quality buy them or anyone who wants to breed even breeding quality. That is where the drawback is you see, you slim down the number of people who will want the fish and are knowledgeable about betta. As I said many breeders I know cull fish such as that, if you have offspring with such deformities I would honestly cull them as well.

Also I read from another breeder that your male might have sbd. Now that is seriously bad and it seems other siblings have the same so to me that seems genetic. And breeding back to his sister only increases the number of fry that will have it and have to be culled, if you are unlucky you will have to cull the whole spawn. I have seen this happen as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #15 
Mahsfish

Ok. I haven't seen the boy act this way anymore. It was only during the hour he was in his jar after I picked him up. After that he hasn't been doing it. And the female and also another male I've gotten haven't done this at all. I will do further inspection though.

And for the ventrals. What exactly does it mean to be split? For it to have that webbed appearance? And are good ventrals then just like one full straight fin forming into one point on the bottom?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #16 
LadyVictorian

Split ventrals means there are one or more points at the end of the ventrals, the fins resting under the body. Ideally you want only one point and for the ventrals to go straight down and be even with each other. I can throw up an extream version of split ventrals for you from a breeder I know in Canada and then normal ventrals to help you spot the difference.

Case of serious splitting which though he is a great male the breeder will never breed him.

normal ventrals.

First one I linked since the photo is too big.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 03-18-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #17 
Mahsfish

Ok I understand better now. Thank you. Now banana is still young, is it possible that the ventrals grow to be more desirable or for the most part will they stay with the two points?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

If the split isn't damage and in fact the way they have always been then they won't grow together unfortunately. The fish above is a year old not and his only worsened with age in fact which we think is odd.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #19 
Mahsfish

Okay fish is only about 3 months old. So the ventral split would be genetic correct? Also, I have another boy from the same batch. Similar to this one but completely cello, less matured but he appears to have pointed desired ventrals. Would it be better to wait for him mature to breed opposed to this one.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

At about 3 months they are breed ready. Get a pic of the other boy, if they are from the same spawn you should still get some marbles as both male and female would have come from a spawn with one marble parent and I find marble is harder to breed out than in >.<