Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #21 
Mahsfish

Ok the boy is not nearly as matured. He was thought to be female when I first got him as he was still in the sorority with all the females. But his anal fins passes his caudal right now and he has a large beard when flaring. I'm getting him into my 10 gal tonight so all I have is pics from his jar. I will put one up though.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #22 
Mahsfish

The best I currently have of him.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #23 
Mahsfish

Sorry for the side ways picture
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #24 
Myates

It depends on your goal.. split ventrals may not be ideal if you are showing, or planning to sell to breeders.. but to the average person it's not a big deal.

What I'm more curious about is his feathering in his tail fin (which looks to be pretty close, if not 180 in those last pictures) - has he been in with a female that took off most of his fins, or is it feathered like that normally?

If it's feathered like that normally then that is what you should be concerned about more than the ventrals.. the ventrals are nothing compared to feather/rose tails. Breeding feather/rose tails you are going to guarantee most of the spawn will need to be culled as it produces deformed fins, scales, body in most of the fry. It's a mutated gene that brings out a lot of trouble in offspring.

If you have something really dark to place behind the tank, and take a side view picture of him, can see it better. Has to be a dark, solid color.. otherwise you won't get an accurate assessment.

As mentioned before, he does have a spooned topline.

As for the female - it's not that easy to find an HM female that is a full 180 spread without spending a pretty penny.. so that isn't as big of a deal - in a normal HMxHM spawn you will get a good number of deltas. It's just with a full 180 female the HMs have a better chance at being better looking, tail wise.

Now.. are they PKs? He has rather short fins.. but not shaped like a PK (and if he is long finned, how old is he? As he doesn't seem fully developed. And the female looks PK judging by her anal fin, which is rather short compared to a long finned HM.

As for what you will get color wise.. it's a toss up. Kind of all over the place with those two..

I suggest if he proves not to be a rose/feather tail (need that black background side view pic) then I would look for a female that would compliment him more - can work out the split ventrals eventually down the line.. but look for a marbled girl similar to him, or a solid black or white even.. but that is just my personal preference.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #25 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahsfish View Post
The best I currently have of him.
Dark, solid background to see the fins better - if I'm right about the feathering, then he isn't breedable. And is that even the same fish? How did he lose his dragon scaling and colors??
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #26 
Mahsfish

No he is not a rose tail. Earlier his fins were normal. They are still healing and growing. They are both only 3 months and straight HMs.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #27 
Mahsfish

No. The other fish in the jar is his bother who is not as matured yet. The one with dragon scaling is the original fish the other is the brother.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #28 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Banana is a slight rosetail and both carry the gene. Not that serious though. His other faults (top line, sbd, pectoral, ventrals) are bad.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #29 
Jayloo

They probably won't spawn show quality fish and if you want to work out a certain type of betta line it may take several generations and probably years. But if you just want breeding experience then do it no matter what... You can cull the bad and breed the best for your F2...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your goal is important as it will determine what we will advise. If you are going for show quality, then I'd say don't breed them. Otherwise, it's up to you.

Split ventrals IMO is not a deformity - it doesn't influence life quality of fish. But it is genetic and will be passed on to offspring. Missing ventrals is not genetic and thus is hard to breed for. Ideal ventrals are wide at the base and ends at one point . . . sort of blade like shape.

Young bettas that show undesired traits will not "grow out" of it. In fact such traits gets worse as the betta ages. If you have a young betta with very long ventrals, it will grow much longer as it ages. The same goes for split ventrals - each split will grow longer as it ages.

Though the brother doesn't have split ventrals, he most probably carries the genes and thus will produce similar fry when bred to a sibling female. If you don't have any other males and can't invest in one, I'd say breed him to a non related female with rather short but wide ventrals - a more pointed edge caudal will also be good.

Not sure about the rose/feather - I don't see it because picture isn't clear. But he does have 180* spread. Be prepared for a few generations to produce better offspring.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote