Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 
valen1014

Sweetest female ever ><

I have a black orchid pair I am conditioning to breed. They are in separate 2.5 gallon tanks at 77-78F. I have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and pellets (oddly enough these seem to be the favorites). I read some people also let the pair flare at each other or to themselves as part of the conditioning but my biggest problem is that she just... won't... flare...

Seriously, she won't flare at the male, she won't flare at herself, nothing! I saw her flare maybe once when I first got her but nothing since. I also caught her with vertical stripes once but never again. Even the photos that my seller sent me before she was shipped, she wasn't flaring. I'm guessing she's around 3-4 months. She's active and loves food. She's not super eggy but has a clear ovipositor and is somewhat eggy. I'm not in a hurry to breed her but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. Would raising the temperature help?
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

80 is definatly more optimal, but I wouldn't worry. Condition her properly, make sure she is really egged up, and she should be fine. A lot of my females never flare.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 
valen1014

Oh I didn't know it was that common for females not to flare. Most of the females I've had have even been more aggressive than my males, so I guess I never thought some females just don't flare.

Thank you! I feel a lot better about this now. I will continue to condition them and to get her really eggy =]

How long do you typically condition for? until the female is very eggy and showing vertical lines?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Length of conditioning really depends on the fish. Some of my females simply refuse to egg up, but I started conditioning a petstore betta yesterday and on the first day of flaring she had bars... You never know.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Have you tried flaring her to a different color? Sometimes they wont flare against certain colors and need "courage building". If she does falre against other colors, keep her away from blacks for a few days. once in a while Show her a stressed black female or a mirror - not too long, just to see if she has gained confidence. Immediately stop if she doesn't flare but add flaring time to blacks daily until she goes flat out.

Some rare cases need to be in with another betta to flare. I once had a female who would never flare when in solitary but gets into fights in sororities.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Have you tried flaring her to a different color? Sometimes they wont flare against certain colors and need "courage building". If she does falre against other colors, keep her away from blacks for a few days. once in a while Show her a stressed black female or a mirror - not too long, just to see if she has gained confidence. Immediately stop if she doesn't flare but add flaring time to blacks daily until she goes flat out.

Some rare cases need to be in with another betta to flare. I once had a female who would never flare when in solitary but gets into fights in sororities.
That's really interesting! I will try it out and report back. It'd be pretty cute if what she needs is courage building ^^;;
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #7 
valen1014

UPDATE!! =]

I had to place the male and female in a divided tank temporarily since my heater decided to stop working >< I tried my best to get the divider to block their view (didn't work very well...) but to my surprise she went nuts!! She started flaring at him, stripped up (verticals) within minutes, and is trying desperately to get to his side of the tank (I've doubled and tripled check the divider since I saw that ^^;). I don't understand why she didn't react that way even when I would just float her cup on his tank for a while.... something about being in the same water just sparked her interest immediately O.o I'm debating if I should condition them in the divided tank and just do a better job of blocking their view. Maybe sensing each other in the water will help the conditioning process run smoothly?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 
Jayloo

Pharamones also play a big part. Now that they are in the same water they are swapping pharamones which are sexually stimulating and driving them crazy for each other.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote