Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #1 
SunshineSulie

New Betta Lover

Hello. I have owned my betta fish for about 3 months now. I am going to tell you a little about her previous home (me, still, but a different tank) and her new/current home (upgrade!), as well as her behaviour in both. I really want you guys to let me know what I could be doing better for her and what I am doing well. I have been doing my research, but nothing is better than hearing it from someone else, you know?

Ok, my bettas name is Sunshine. She is a female. I don't know the breed, cuz I got her at petsmart, and all it said was "Female Betta". Anyway. When I first got her for the first 2 n a half months, I kept her in a 1/2 gallon (plastic) with no heater and no filter. I did a 1/4 water change mid-week, and a full change once on the weekend. She had gravel and a Marimo ball.

Her behaviour in the 1/2 gallon was great. She was social and would come to the top and see me whenever I came home from classes (I'm a full time college student living in a One Man Room aka Closet). She rarely flared and I do not believe she was stressed.

Her new tank is a 2 n a half gallon (plastic). It has a heater (no setting, but it is automated for 74-78 degrees F). It also has a built-in light and a filter. There is gravel, again, and the same Marimo ball. She also has a single live plant, about 5 inches tall with many leaves.

She just got put in here last night. She is a bit antsy, constantly on the edge of the tank looking out or at herself, I can not tell. When I first put her in, she was much more interested in exploring, now she seems anxious and bored. :/ I don't have much money left (new tank+heater+more gravel+bloodworms+plant=53 dollars :/).

What is some advise? Praise? Let me know! Thanks so much.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

maybe the tank is too empty?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
Crowntails

Bettas do feel more secure with lots of plants.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #4 
SunshineSulie

Yeah, I plan on getting some... I have 2 plants that came with my old 1/2 gallon, but they're hard plastic ones, and I don't want her to hurt her fins, you know? And with only 20 dollars left to actually spend on anything (including food for me) I don't know where I could get affordable plants. :/
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #5 
Racoon293

My girl acted similar when I moved her to a bigger tank. She explored at first the started freaking out and had stress stripes. After about 2-3 days she started getting comfortable in her new surroundings and calmed down. Keep an eye on her and definitely look into some more plants when possible. If you think she is seeing her reflection make sure her tank lights not on when the rest of the room is dark. You made a good decision moving your fish to a bigger tank. Best of luck to you both.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 
SunshineSulie

No more Stress Stripes on my baby girl! She is exploring a bit more and seems to actually be GROWING a little!!! I didn't really expect her to get much bigger, and she hasn't, but it is noticable. Her tummy has also gone down (she used to be super bloated), and I think it is because of the heater raising her metabolism. She is also pooping, which I have seen in the bottom of her tank, but never actually happen before she was put in this tank, so yay for her seeming to be happier and healthier!

I think I will be ordering some plants online, does anyone have any trusted places to go through???

Tags
advice needed, betta