Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 
osromatra

"fully submersible"- q (plus a rant on chain stores)

Stupid question, probably, but I want to be certain before we dip it! We have a 100 Watt Marineland heater that came with our new 20G kit. Their website says "fully submersible" yet the instructions say to not let water touch areas that it shouldn't, yet does not tell where exactly those no-no areas are. Looking at it, I see vent/slits up towards the top of the bulb-area where the adjustment clicker is, and I was presuming that was not safe to get water in. But if so, even having it as high as possible, it doesn't look like a lot of water can go there, so I'm not sure.

So at the risk of feeling stupid, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

PS: Got 6 females. One was bloated and I mentioned it and they knocked 5 dollars off the whole purchase. She seemed feisty at the store and I thought I'd at least give her a shot. Poor thing died before we even got halfway home. :( I am testing her water, taking pics, and plan on making yet another complaint with them. This will make my third complaint over the care of their fish, and not just their bettas. All their fish are treated horribly! The bettas just have the worst of it. She was a beautiful MG CT too, round as a marble, but not yet pine-coning and still upright/swimming well. I think the activity and stress of being moved around is what done her in. But a fish shouldn't so sick that it can't make a 30 minute car ride home.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Can't help you on the heater, but I wish to lend you some angry, grring support! It's not right that a fish should die like that. If it was a cat or dog they wouldn't dare treat it like that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I wonderd that about my heaters too..I would think they are fully submersiable but I make sure the top part is out of the water. I would think there would be a MAX water line if they weren't?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #4 
sarahspins

My eheim jager heaters are fully submersible but you can have the very top part out of the water if you want to... they have a minimum water line :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 
kyle89

My hydor heater is fully submersible. And as to the big box stores i am fed up!! I bought my girlfriend a betta at PETCO. 7 days later he died. As i was getting ready to return it something made me smell the novaqua i bought the same day and well it smelled like sulphur!!! Took both back and petco precedes to tell me they have that problem with novaqua. Went back and all the bottles on the shelf smelled like that. If PETCO knew it was a problem why would they continue to sell bad novaqua!! Plus i was told by PETCO the liquid test kits are a complete waste. Never going back to PETCO
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #6 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
....it something made me smell the novaqua i bought the same day and well it smelled like sulphur!!! Took both back and petco precedes to tell me they have that problem with novaqua.
Hmmm....not sure about Novaqua, but Prime is supposed to smell like sulfer, and does.

Sorry about your GFs betta, tho. Losing one is sad.
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 
kyle89

I now use prime and it has a light sent. The novaqua was actually breath taking strong. Even the novaqua at the fish place we got her replacement didnt smell that strong
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 
Myates

Most heater companies will place on the box "don't fully submerge", when asked they claim it's due to laws in Canada, that they have to say that.. but it is actually fully submersible. You can call the company just to make sure, but I'm positive the warning on the box is the mandatory one they all have to place on there for Canada laws.

As for the female - sorry to hear that.. it's always sad to see them pass away. Why I recommend people to buy healthy looking ones, rather than sick ones - most of the time they end up passing away shortly after purchasing them, and they risk bringing diseases into the tanks of the other fish (cross contamination of items, etc). I would just bring her back and get a refund - or exchange.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #9 
osromatra

Yeah- I am QTing them all anyway, even if they appear healthy, just in case. I knew she was sick, I thought in the off-chance it was simply a constipation-bad-food issue, maybe I could nurse her back. She had molded multicolored flake food (ie tropical food) on the top lid when I opened it to take pics, so I think it probably was an over-feeding/wrong food issue. So sad, as it is preventable.

I took her back today and got a VT that appears healthy enough, if a little clamped. We shall see.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote