Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Cichlids

Does anyone have cichlids? What is the minimum requirements for them? My boyfriends dad has them, and he has had a couple batches of babies. Now, he has another batch, and he is trying to find them homes. I think they are super cute, but I don't have much space for another tank. Anyway, I was debating how much more of a commitment it would be.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

It reeeeeeally depends on the species. Some stay small and docile, while others get huge and want to kill you. Most are somewhere inbetween.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #3 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
while others get huge and want to kill you. .
LOL!

I would like to know more about them myself! Love the Blue rams
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I don't know the species. They are pale yellow. The parents are about 3"x4". They all live in a 75 gallon, and none of my boyfriends dads fish seem to be overly aggressive. He has a bunch of different species (including gold fish, which I told him are not tropical fish) in the tank. They don't seem to kill each other. Although they kill the snails he puts in. He's had it up and running for probably 6 mos, but it was a fully cycled and running tank he bought from someone else (it had been running for like 10 years).
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Hmmm, if you could get a picture of them, that would certainly help identifying them, at which point their care requirements can be determined.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Well, I should've done this in the first place. I google searched yellow cichlids, and up popped Electric Yellow Cichlids, which appear to be what they are. Also, he got them from PetSmart, and I looked at PetSmarts Cichlids online and they sell Electric Yellow. The yellow ones are the ones he's added to the tank. I think all the rest came with it, but there are other things (like Plecostamus, Sharks, Cat Fish, Gold Fish, etc...) that he has added. I think it's way overstocked, but it's not my tank and his fish seem to survive okay.

Is there anyway to sex them?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Overstocked and poorly stocked, it sounds. We'll see how long they are okay for... It can take several months for things to break down. Often, as fish grow and mature, the dynamics of the tank will change - this is especially true with cichlids. I don't have experience with african cichlids, which are what the yellow ones are, so hopefully someone who is will have more to say about it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

I don't have buckets of experience with Africans either - however, I'm fairly certain that the fish he's keeping together have different water requirements. Not just temperature, but pH and hardness as well. :S
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

And different dietary requirements.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Yes, I know he is not keeping his fish in optimal conditions. I have tried to talk with him about it, but he doesn't think I know anything. I told him not to buy mondo grass or bamboo... he went out and bought mondo grass and bamboo. He has done a lot of reading about cichlids, and has attended local fish shows. He does 20-30 gallon water changes weekly, and is very meticulous about his tank. So, I do not understand the inappropriate fish and inappropriate plants. The only thing I can think of is he has a "its just a fish, it can be replaced" ideology. He is not a person who really likes animals, so I never really knew why he wanted the tank.

I will say, he says he hasn't had any die in his tank (except the few he's tossed out because they were dying , which to me is still losing a fish whether you toss it out or not), but I swear the fish all look different every time my boyfriend and I go and visit them. He says they change colors. So... yeah.