Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 
paws

He is Here! At last!

Well! Today I went to Wal-Mart with my mom to get my brother some pills and so I could get more hamster bedding for my hamster, Paws. Well when I was done picking him out some colourful bedding I was right beside the fish isle. I took a long look at everything in there. After a while my Mom caught me looking at all the fish heaters, filter, fish ect. So she took me over to the tanks and said," Is there any fish over here you like?", I answered "No." Then I said " I want a betta fish." She then said "Do they have betta fish here?" She asked me. I didn't know. So we looked around and then my mom suddenly turned around and there they were on the end of and ilse shelf. I got really upset for a bit because one was dead. She was on orange female. Quick question: I want to add a little member to his tank. Are mollies ok to go with betta fish? If not would you be able to tell me what type of fish are aproiet to be with my betta. Also WAL-MART kep them in lil containers with hardly ANY water in them. And there were a few girls and mostly males. Well we searched for the right one there were reds, blues, greens, yellows, purples, whites, and multi coloured ones. I choose one the one that was white and red, also it had a bit of blue on its tail. He is beautiful and he seems sooo happy in his new tank which had a few fake plants. (He loves to hide in them). Also he has a heater. And a filter. The filter is a medium Tetra. Also the heater is a small Tetra. I use my desk light as a light for him. He also has a cool hideout that he hasn't discovered yet. I have had him for about 1 hour. Can you give me name suggestions?
I bought him freezed blood worms and also some pelets. He seems pretty happy in a tank with a lot of room also with the water clean and warm. I also feel like I saved him from the horrid WAL-MART; I am not a fan of wal-mart becuase a product from there burned down my cousin's house so yeah.
Here are some pics of him in his new tank:

Can you find him?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yy59is&s=3
An ok picture?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2jd2erm&s=3
Another OK picture?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5xr4nt&s=3
A good picture!
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11rfwxc&s=3
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Good size tank. I know some people keep mollies with them but they tend to get aggressive towards each other so personally I would not...you can get a dwarf frog if you'd like.

Usually we'd recommend you cycle the tank first but since he is here you will need to get a liquid test kit (no cheating and buying test strips!!!) and test the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every day. Water changes should be either daily or every other day, 25% each time. Make sure you use a water conditioner. And what brands of stuff did you buy (just curious)?

One last thing. We'll surely all advise you to not buy any more fish or supplies from a store that is keeping animals in horrid conditions. "Rescuing" them does nothing but provide the stores with what they are after. Money.

Again, good job on picking out the tank!!!
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #3 
marinebiologist21

Holy crap.
You are the FIRST fish keeping newbie to have done everything perfectly.
Perfect tank,
Perfect food,
Perfect supplies,
Perfect fish!!

Although cycling would have been good, I predict you did save your betta from a horrible Wal-mart life and he will now have a nice enjoyable home. :D:D

GRATS!
marinebiologist21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #4 
King of Candlesticks

I wouldn't keep them with mollies if I were you... I had mine with two mollies but the mollies bullied him and nipped his fins so I had to get my betta a second tank.

Platies work well from my experience. I'm upgrading my tank and I'm going to get two dwarf platies to go with my betta.

Corydoras Catfish work really well too.

But it all depends on your betta.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #5 
Meatpuppet

congradulations. he is such a beutiful fish! cant say i see very many white bettas like that often. lovley

Quote:
Can you give me name suggestions?
meatpuppet would be a great name for him :D
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Haha, ding ding ding for me not noticing the brands.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #7 
paws

Hey thanks guys! Yes i will have to get a liguid test kit. I named him Casper. Also I will have to get a thermoniter. Yes i was going to cycle the tank but my mom told me to cycle he tank with him in it. He was one of my best birthday presents. He seems to have so much fun gliding swiftly along the sides of the tank. Swooping up bubbles!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #8 
paws

well I was thinking. Can I add a alge eater to the tank? Or should one platies. OOr mabye even a few platies?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #9 
marinebiologist21

A pleco will grow too large for that tank.
Personally I'd go with a few Dwarf Platies
marinebiologist21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #10 
Oldman47

A couple of platies or an otocinclus would work with him but now that you are doing a cycle with him in there, let it finish before you add any more fish.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote