Betta Fish Forum banner

Girls in sorority killed one of the weaker girls?

729 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jayloo 
#1 ·
Tank size: 15 Gallon
Water Parameters: Nitrite 0, ph 7.2, Nitrate 0, Ammonia o.
Temp: 82 degrees
Tank cycled: one month
Tank running (as is:) 3 weeks
Changes: 1-2 days
Filtered and Planted
QTed all of the girls for 2 weeks before floating them and releasing them.
I have a fifteen gallon with 7 females. At first there was the initial fin nipping, etc, but for the most part that has slowed down. The Alpha female has since asserted herself and the fights are rare now. Six of the girls interact very well, but one of the girls was staying in hiding--refusing to eat. I tried to separate her or give her some food and that seemed to help. Today, I was feeding the rest of the girls and I saw that the female was floating on the surface. The girls were actually taking turns nipping her fins, etc. When I pulled her out, all of her fins had been completely chewed. Before, she had no showed any signs of sickness, so is there a possibility that they did not want her in the tank? I am worried that the six of them will continue to turn on one another. Do you think that will happen or will they be peaceful now that the dynamics have changed? The girls are all swimming around and interacting peacefully now. What do you think? Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you. This is my first sorority and I knew the risks. The surprising thing was that the girls were peaceful in the beginning (in general). I am wondering if I should add a female to replace her (after qt) or just maintain the current set up.

#4 ·
Unfortunately, without seeing how she died, it's impossible to say if it was sickness or murder. Not eating sounds like sickness, to me, and it's perfectly normal for fish to nibble at a dead compatriot, so don't rule out natural causes just yet. :)

I would see how things progress with just 6 girls. Sometimes it is hard to introduce a new girl to an established group - other times, if the girls are really docile, it's ridiculously easy. I would definitely wait at least a fortnight, both to monitor their behaviour and to make sure that the other girls aren't sick.

#5 ·
Good point. She did appear healthy, but I am not sure. I am hoping that none of the other girls are sick and that none of them go terminator on the group. I probably will not add anymore....since bettas are apparently more catty than high school girls.lol :)

#6 ·
Awh, I'm so sorry. Hard to say. I'd just keep a supper close eye. I'd do an 100% water change just encase it was because she was ill since dropsy and fit rot are contagious. When you reput the girls back in there tank do it from least aggressive to alpha. It's a little rare for all six to put all there aggression towards one. Or maybe she was just really stressed and didn't adapt well to her new surroundings would be my best guess. ;/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.