Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
dc2die4

Aquabid transhippers

I kind of get the aquabid process at the moment.. the Thailand seller sends to transhipper, and transhipper sends to me.. but how do you pick a transhipper? is it usually just the one closest to you?

I'm in southern california, so that would make Julie Tran (San Fransisco)the closest one to me (Anaheim).. has anyone ever used her? And would you suggest springing for next day? or since it's the same state I could get away with priority? If it's offered..

Anything I should know about a thailand fish? I guess I would need IAL to acclimate?
dc2die4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #2 
aemaki09

I've never used a transhipper before, but I have talked to most of them, so my information is only from what I've read, not frome experience.
Anything I should know about a thailand fish? I guess I would need IAL to acclimate? I havent used her so I cant comment on that.
Next Day vs. Priority - just pick whichever one you can afford. I never use overnight and ALWAYS use priority. Have had DOA's but it's been due to freezing weather and never from shipping itself. A lot of people will suggest using next day though just because it is winter.
How would you pick a transhipper...pick however you want, distance from you to her, cost, whoever the seller is shipping to next, or whoever has the best reputation...tons of factors that play in there. The most recommended TS is Linda Olson from what I've seen.
Now for acclimmating, IAL isn't necessary. Just keep the lights off, drip acclimate slowly, and add some stress coat to the water and you should be good to go!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #3 
shamu13

It doesn't matter that much how close you are to the transhipper if you use Express shipping. I've bought two fish off aquabid and used Jennifer Viveiros for both. One was sent to my mom in Texas using priority and the other was overnighted to me in Boston. They both arrived in great condition, albeit mine bit off his fins a bit (which is common).

Once you pay for the fish to the Thailand breeder, you can email whichever transhipper you choose for a quote. Then you just tell the breeder which transhipper you want to use, and they'll ship it to them. The breeder will tell you when the fish will ship out to the transhipper. You can then pay the transhipper via Paypal. I recommend doing this asap as they will not ship your fish until they are paid, and they are very busy after the fish arrive. If you need any accommodations, try to put as much information into the paypal note section as possible. I contacted both Linda Olson and Jennifer for price quotes and Jennifer was able to get me a cheaper price so I went with her. The box that my fish arrived in was packed very well, and the fish had a good amount of water and plenty of air. Jennifer also changes the water when the fish get to her, before she ships them out to you. She uses Prime and a bit of malachite green (i think), but definitely no IAL so it shouldn't be a problem if you don't have any. I've heard conflicting things about whether or not changing the water is good or harmful. But my fish were fine, and arrived without any signs of illness.

I think one of the important factors when buying a fish off of aquabid is which thailand breeder you're getting it from. Some breeders have much better reputations for producing robust and lively fish. I got one from GreatBetta and one from Siribetta. Though both are good, I've noticed that the fish from GreatBetta is definitely a bit more hardy (esp. since my mom is the one that is taking care of him). Keep in mind that all breeders choose the most flattering angles to take pictures, and the pictures may be digitally enhanced to make the fish seem more colorful.
shamu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #4 
dc2die4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu13 View Post
It doesn't matter that much how close you are to the transhipper if you use Express shipping. I've bought two fish off aquabid and used Jennifer Viveiros for both. One was sent to my mom in Texas using priority and the other was overnighted to me in Boston. They both arrived in great condition, albeit mine bit off his fins a bit (which is common).

Once you pay for the fish to the Thailand breeder, you can email whichever transhipper you choose for a quote. Then you just tell the breeder which transhipper you want to use, and they'll ship it to them. The breeder will tell you when the fish will ship out to the transhipper. You can then pay the transhipper via Paypal. I recommend doing this asap as they will not ship your fish until they are paid, and they are very busy after the fish arrive. If you need any accommodations, try to put as much information into the paypal note section as possible. I contacted both Linda Olson and Jennifer for price quotes and Jennifer was able to get me a cheaper price so I went with her. The box that my fish arrived in was packed very well, and the fish had a good amount of water and plenty of air. Jennifer also changes the water when the fish get to her, before she ships them out to you. She uses Prime and a bit of malachite green (i think), but definitely no IAL so it shouldn't be a problem if you don't have any. I've heard conflicting things about whether or not changing the water is good or harmful. But my fish were fine, and arrived without any signs of illness.

I think one of the important factors when buying a fish off of aquabid is which thailand breeder you're getting it from. Some breeders have much better reputations for producing robust and lively fish. I got one from GreatBetta and one from Siribetta. Though both are good, I've noticed that the fish from GreatBetta is definitely a bit more hardy (esp. since my mom is the one that is taking care of him). Keep in mind that all breeders choose the most flattering angles to take pictures, and the pictures may be digitally enhanced to make the fish seem more colorful.
Thanks! I definitely like some of aquastar71's stuff.. Your post was very informative.. Thanks!! Any other reputable breeders you would recommend?
dc2die4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 
emilyghetto

I attempted to contact Julie Tran MULTIPLE times via phone and email and never received any response.
emilyghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #6 
majesticstorm

I didn't have a betta shipped from Thailand, but I did buy a betta from Jennifer Viveiros and she packed him very well and came to me in very good condition. I paid Express. The only thing is that she doesn't always reply to every one of your emails, but she usually gives replies to the important ones I guess.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #7 
shamu13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2die4 View Post
Thanks! I definitely like some of aquastar71's stuff.. Your post was very informative.. Thanks!! Any other reputable breeders you would recommend?
No problem! I don't have specific breeders, but you should check the ratings of all the ones you consider, and especially pay special note to any comments about deformities, fish health, etc. I've heard that Aquastar is very reputable. If you have any other questions about the transhipping process feel free to message me. Good luck!
shamu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyghetto View Post
I attempted to contact Julie Tran MULTIPLE times via phone and email and never received any response.
I would not do business with those who do not respond within 24 hrs, a simple email to acknowledge receipt of inquiry is enough, I do not need all the answers right away, to me that's professionalism.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #9 
Warlock

I have used LINDA 6 times.. excellent communication via phone or email

and

Jennifer 1 time (my latest purchase).. she did not return emails at first few attempts.. then finally got in contact.. things went smooth..

positive experiences with both
i used EXPRESS over NITE with both..

would never use PRIORITY for betta fish i purchase.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote