Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #1 
xjenuhfur

Less stressful water changes?

Hey guyyyys. (: Sooo I did a water change last night, and because Golem wasn't in the mood to get into the cup, I left him in the tank with the other fish (2 otos, 2 rabbit snails, 10gal reg).
By the end of the 'experience' (his first in tank wc) he was sitting at the bottom and breathing heavily. I knew he was stressed because water changes are always awkward in a dorm room, but after 3 mins he was fine. Ate his dinner, and was his normal self.
I dont want to specifically stress him out on purpose. But is there a way to put water in the tank a little more gracefully? I have a gallon jug that I've been using for the 10gal. But if I dont have to cup Golem every time that'd be amazing.

Any advice would be appreciated! (:

Edit: Water was the same temp as tank temp and treated with Prime before being added to the tank.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

I leave my fish in and siphon out and they hide in plants. When adding water back use a plastic colander (dollar store) to make the water adding more like a rain than a ker plunk,plunk,plunk. He will get used to the water changes.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

I usually just remove him, I've had him for, er, months. I was thinking about using something to disrupt the flow, but didn't think about using a colander. I might have to pick that up.
I think it was the kerplunking that tossed him around and stressed him out. Because when I removed water he had no problem.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I try to add the water far away from the fish and try to pick an object like a decoration or sponge filter to absorb some of the disruption.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #5 
waterdog

Mine did the same thing when I first got them, but now they actually swim over and play in the new water as I pour it in!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Some bettas are sensitive souls and get stressed out by water changes no matter what you do. I had one who would lay on the bottom of his tank and look like he was dying. But drop food in and he'd be on it in seconds.

I usually pour the water out into a measuring cup that I sit in my tank so that I don't stir up the bottom of my tanks. Using your hand could also work.

My poor fry learn from a young age that I am a no coddler during water changes. You swim near that siphon and you're going for a ride on the siphon express.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #7 
Kithy

I pout the water over a tall decoration. He always swims over to watch but it doesn't seem to stress him out much. But that's my little guy. I take the other one out of the 1.5g though.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #8 
kyle89

Its an option I have thought about
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=131892
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I use the colander method as well, and my guys don't seem to mine a bit after a time or two. They'll go and hide in some plants, but they don't seem worried about it, just like they're taking cover from the "rain". ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I pour the water in on the side opposite where the fish is swimming, and I pour it so it comes in against the glass (acrylic) side of the tank. This reduces splash/turbulence.

Three of my guys are oblivious to water changes. Or they try to 'help.' The 4th fish is like the one that LBF described. He looks like he's being tortured. (He also bites his tail, so....)

I'm intrigued by Jada's and Blue Fish's colander method. "Hey fish, look! It's raining!"
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote