Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 
CrazyDiamond

So . . . this just happened

I went into my local PetCo on Thursday and saw this beautiful boy! I have never seen such a nice fish in a pet store. I spent my Friday cleaning Pink Floyd's tank and knowing I did not need a second fish I wrote off ever seeing that one again. Several hours after I cleaned the tank I went over and noticed it was heavily populated with WORMS! After lots of research it seems no one can agree whether they are detritus or planarian worms but they did agree that they are not harmful to fish, in small quantities. Well I had about 5-10 per square inch of glass so . . . thousands!!! I immediately removed what I suspected was the cause of the worms, my new marimo, and he (Jim) is in a salt bath at the moment until he is worm free. I then noticed that I also had algae on the back panel of the tank that I could not see with the lights on. After a mild freak out Floyd and I tried to lessen the worms in the tank with me shaking them free of the tank walls and him swimming by and eating them. So I tossed and turned last night hardly able to sleep and decided when I went to the PetCo today, if that beautiful big ear HMPK was still there when I went to get something to clear up the algae he was definitely coming home with me. Much to my surprise, and slight horror, he was still there and he's so pretty and I could not say no! So I came home and did a 50% water change, vacuumed the gravel and walls and set up a divider and transferred both fish into the tank and they are very happy! They have met and flared at each other lol and Freddie needs a taller plant on his side but he seems very happy so far if a little shy. I think it was just meant to be, I have no idea how he was still there today when I went back, lucky him!

Last edited by CrazyDiamond; 03-16-2013 at 03:39 PM.
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

He's such a lucky guy that he got to wait for you to come back for him! Congratulations on the beautiful new addition. Hopefully, he'll help control the planarian populous!! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 
CrazyDiamond

I know right!? There were three more big ears too and they were all white xD I love this one though, he was the only purple fish big ear or not lol And since this second cleaning I have seen a few worms on the bottom of the tank and Floyd is eating them xD Freddie is too busy exploring lol
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

When we got our EE boy, I was hoping the opaque white EE was still there, but they'd JUST sold him like a couple weeks before my fiance went in there. He was the only EE in that store, so my fiance passed up all the black CT's and brought me my vicious Hu fish! lol

They have so much expression in those big pectorals, I love it.

Well, that's good that Floyd has the issue under control! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #5 
CrazyDiamond

The EEs that were left were white but also had muted speckles of color like perhaps they were minimally expressed marbles but I think they were VT as well and I wanted a short fin fish, I already have Floyd and his fins are so fragile and get torn so easily so I was kind of doomed when I spotted Freddie LOL
Floyd is like my terrier, ridding the place of vermin xD
Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 
Jupiter

What a lovely dumbo boy! He looks like the sort of betta you'd find on AB
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 
CrazyDiamond

IKR!? So surprised to find him in a store :D
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

He's so pretty! (And now, I want to go to Petsmart, just in case they got a new shipment with a 'surprise' like what you found. LOL)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 
CrazyDiamond

I was pleasantly surprised but said NO, no I do not need another fish! lol . . . could NOT sleep just thinking about him >.< had to go back and get him. I got up at 8am this morning, on a Saturday to get him, that's pretty serious for me, I can sleep til 2pm on the weekends XD
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

He's pretty now. Imagine what he'll look like in a month, after having clean, warm water and good food for awhile.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote