Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #1 
Togiran

New Betta

I'm on my first day with a brand new, 10 gallon tank.
Currently, the only fish living in the tank is a Betta Splendens.

I just tested the water, and would like to know where to go from here. I haven't changed out any water since I set up the tank yesterday afternoon.

The parameters are:

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
pH - 8.0
Temperature - 78 F

I am using a Red Sea brand Marine Land liquid test kit. I can post some of the instructions from the kit if needed. Here is the link: http://www.petco.com/product/6242/Re...-Test-Kit.aspx

I plan to keep a log on the water parameters each day and post them here until I learn how to do this properly (I'm very, very new to all this.)

Thanks to any help provided.
Togiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #2 
marinebiologist21

Ammonia should be a big fat 0 and even .25 can make your fish ill.
Do a 25 % water change.
You should have cycled the tank for 2-6 weeks to establish bacteria.

pH isnt a big deal but we like to shoot for 7.0-7.5
It is a little too high
marinebiologist21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #3 
Togiran

Go here to see my dilemma: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15641

If I do a water change, should I do anything to lower the pH? Or is it better off staying at the level it is?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #4 
marinebiologist21

pH change may shock your betta.
try buying a ph balancer powder sold at your fish store
marinebiologist21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #5 
Flashygrrl

No, no powders or chemicals. Don't be messin with that stuff unless you are an expert. If you really are worried about the Ph you can try filtering over a little peat.

As for the ammonia, yes, it is to be expected. Here is where the daily testing and either daily or every other day water changes come into play. The fact that you have nitrates already (how did that happen?) will help a bit but 20 is on the high end. Have you tested the water out of the tap after letting it sit for 24 hours? I'm kinda curious how it comes out naturally.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #6 
Oldman47

I hope you have read up on the cycle while in that link you posted. You are in a fishy ycle and have maximum allowed ammonia. You may have some nitrates in your tap water, its not unusual. It is time to do a partial water change to get your guy into lower ammonia concentrations. Just keep monitoring and change water whenever the ammonia gets near 0.25 the nitrite gets near 0.25 or the nitrates get about 40 ppm. The cycle will happen eventually if you can keep the fish healthy until then. Good luck and keep up the good work.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #7 
Togiran

I just drained 10 Quarts of water out of my tank with a gravel vac (perfect amount so the filter wouldn't run dry). I dumped it out and filled the bucket after rinsing it to the same 10 Quart line, I then added 1/4 tsp. of conditioner (1 tsp to 10 gallons). I just now finished filling the tank up and it's still reading at 78 degrees.

Should I test the ammonia again tomorrow or later on tonight?

I only ran a pH test on my tap water. I will run a Nitrate test on my tap water in a bit and post the results.

Also, I would like to add that the fish isn't eating at all. Keeping him in that other tank must have really messed him up (even for that short time). I am quite confused as to how there was so much ammonia in the water if he isn't even pooping. Anyone have an answer to that? I don't let the food sit in the tank if he doesn't eat it, and I'm only feeding (trying) 2-3 pellets.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Test for ammonia too, it shouldn't have any if the tap water has chloramines but who knows, eh?

For the not eating, he's probably just adjusting, don't feed him anything for now. What was he like in his cup in the store? Active?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #9 
Togiran

He was the most active out of the Bettas at the store, but once I got him into his 1/2 gallon tank without a heater, all he did was float at the top.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

Just give him time then.