Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #11 
Stone

You can buy activated carbon by itself and buy some 33 cent knee highs put some carbon in them and put that in your filter to keep the benefits of changing the filters carbon and leave the filter in, you will just have to use your best judgement as to how much carbon to use and that will fit into your filter tank.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

I don't cycle any of my tanks so i don't know how to help but i want to give you a few links . They are very helpful and you also can ask questions right in that that thread. It actually about fish-in cycle and it about water changes after tank is cycled. And also make sure you read how to take care of the filter media, that you have to rinse in the old water WITH a water change regularly(not sure how often)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #13 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Your test results should, IMO, be the driving factor as to how much & when you do a water change for a fish IN cycling tank. If you have high ammonia, then you need to do the larger water changes as frequently as the ammonia is high. How high is your ammonia, BTW? Also, what is your Ph? If the Ph is low to mid 6's that can stall a cycle. Right now the most important thing is the safety of your Betta, the water changes do not harm your cycle, may slow it a little but its better than a dead fish IMO.
I will check the water every other day and the ammonia is almost always close to .25. I have not checked Ph in while. I will do that asap. I honestly did not know that would mess with the cycle.
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #14 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I don't cycle any of my tanks so i don't know how to help but i want to give you a few links . They are very helpful and you also can ask questions right in that that thread. It actually about fish-in cycle and it about water changes after tank is cycled. And also make sure you read how to take care of the filter media, that you have to rinse in the old water WITH a water change regularly(not sure how often)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Thanks for the help. I read through your links and I am still worried because the ammonia shows up around .25 every time.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #15 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster11 View Post
I will check the water every other day and the ammonia is almost always close to .25. I have not checked Ph in while. I will do that asap. I honestly did not know that would mess with the cycle.
It can be VERY difficult to distinguish if its really .25 or not IME. I have found that if I lay the ammonia vial on something completely white like a paper towel it actually looks yellow but if I put it against the color chart it looks tinged green. If you're only getting a .25 ammonia you're doing good, you can do a 25% water change & be fine or wait until it hits .5 & do a 50%, some people will say no to this suggestion so its a judgement call IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #16 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
It can be VERY difficult to distinguish if its really .25 or not IME. I have found that if I lay the ammonia vial on something completely white like a paper towel it actually looks yellow but if I put it against the color chart it looks tinged green. If you're only getting a .25 ammonia you're doing good, you can do a 25% water change & be fine or wait until it hits .5 & do a 50%, some people will say no to this suggestion so its a judgement call IMO.
That sounds about right. I was amazed that one little betta could produce that much ammonia.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #17 
Stone

It's not just the betta producing ammonia left-over uneaten food and if you have live plants the rotting leaves and such will produce it as well
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #18 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
It's not just the betta producing ammonia left-over uneaten food and if you have live plants the rotting leaves and such will produce it as well
I only ever put in food hat he will eat. None ever goes uneaten. And there are no live plants in my tank. So I think the betta is the only source then right?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #19 
Blue Fish

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Apparently some tap water has ammonia in it as well...that could be your high reading right there. :)

Also, I've used the API Quick Start with great success for my cycles. Five tanks have been going for the last 6 months with stable cycles just from the quick start. (I did a regular cycle at one point, but lost it when I put in meds without thinking...and decided to try the Quick Start based on a rec from another board. Since it worked so well, I just did it for all the other tanks as well.)

Just make sure that you buy a small bottle, use the listed amount, maybe a bit more, and then toss the bottle. The BB in the bottle only seem to be alive for the first 48 hours after the bottle is opened, after that, they don't work any more. But, you should only have to add it once, then you'll be set. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #20 
kyle89

I never heard of quick start working. The two I always hear is Dr. Tims one and only and tetra safestart
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote