Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #1 
JBonez423

What to look for in show fish?

If someone could either give me a rundown of betta breed/types and what to look for in selective breeding/showing as far as.. err.. fish conformation goes, that would be much appreciated! Either that, or could we have an informative sticky or something? For us novices just stepping into the wonderful world of betta showing.

Much thanks!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
If someone could either give me a rundown of betta breed/types and what to look for in selective breeding/showing as far as.. err.. fish conformation goes, that would be much appreciated! Either that, or could we have an informative sticky or something? For us novices just stepping into the wonderful world of betta showing.

Much thanks!
If you're talking about IBC "standard" show then as far as I know, each tail types have somewhat different details "rules" so if you're looking for details, I suggest you contact IBC judge/s in your area ( or any you can "reach" ), but I think there are some "basic/common" criteria like :
1. Good health, no defects like for eq. : blind, missing fin/s, missing scale/s, body deformities etc.
2. Size, males minimum body size : 1,5 ", females : 1,25 "
3. Good proportion ( for eq. balanced body and fins size )
4. "correct" deportment, flaring at the "opponent/s"
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #3 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
If you're talking about IBC "standard" show then as far as I know, each tail types have somewhat different details "rules" so if you're looking for details, I suggest you contact IBC judge/s in your area ( or any you can "reach" ), but I think there are some "basic/common" criteria like :
1. Good health, no defects like for eq. : blind, missing fin/s, missing scale/s, body deformities etc.
2. Size, males minimum body size : 1,5 ", females : 1,25 "
3. Good proportion ( for eq. balanced body and fins size )
4. "correct" deportment, flaring at the "opponent/s"
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. I was going through a few threads and saw some people discussing tail size vs. ray thickness and number and all this stuff, it just kind of made my head spin with curiosity. I realize there's no way to put that in a nutshell, which is why I'm hoping an expert would want to make a long sticky about it, for the curious newbies out there like myself.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #4 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. I was going through a few threads and saw some people discussing tail size vs. ray thickness and number and all this stuff, it just kind of made my head spin with curiosity. I realize there's no way to put that in a nutshell, which is why I'm hoping an expert would want to make a long sticky about it, for the curious newbies out there like myself.
LOL, yeah it's kinda hard to understand, especially if there are no pics to show "examples". I think..try this link http://bettysplendens.com , There u can learn about what's going on in a betta show, defining a good HM/CT/PK/DT. And it will surely explain to you about show betta, betta than me, since there are pics there and I'm not an english "native" speaker LOL.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
JBonez423

Thanks so much! ^.^ Maybe one day I'll be knowledgeable enough to make my own sticky on it, lol!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 
caissacrowntails

no prob :), btw, like your avatar pic, really cool painting :)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #7 
JBonez423

Thanks! Wish I could take credit for it, but it was a google find. =P
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 
Mahsfish

I'm also curios on what is looked for in and in grading show bettas. Does anyone have exact traits. Like let's say dorsal. What about the dorsal. I know there are many very nice bettas but then someone is like oh dorsal or bad top line. But what about it.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #9 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahsfish View Post
I'm also curios on what is looked for in and in grading show bettas. Does anyone have exact traits. Like let's say dorsal. What about the dorsal. I know there are many very nice bettas but then someone is like oh dorsal or bad top line. But what about it.
Have you visited the link above? u can find some useful info there :), but answering your questions in general, Dorsal fin, ideally, should be wide, spreaded nicely, and if possible, all the rays in it are well balanced, no bended or broken rays. And in proportionate size with the caudal and anal fins. As about top line, Ideally, the top line should "curved" smooth with the "highest" part is somewhere "above" the fish belly. Here's an example of a female with what I think as quite "ideal" topline.
Hope that helps you a bit :)
Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #10 
Mahsfish

Yes I did try visiting the link. It was helpful but did answer all my questions. Thanks for the picture helps me understand the top line better. Also I know that the anal shouldn't extend past the bottom of the cadual, correct? But then also something about the slope of it. Does this mean the front and back of the anal fin should be equal lenght?
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote