Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #1 
Tonksy

Unhappy I keep thinking about him! Thoughts?

Four days ago I came home with a new rescue, but when I was at the store I saw another Betta that I just can't seem to get my mind off of.
He was a HM salmon colored betta with a very peculiar way of swimming. I assume his pectoral fins are paralyzed or something because he moves his body like a snake to swim.
I don't have any room at all (7 betta and no counter space)... but I keep thinking about him and how his deformity might not get him a home...

Your opinions on the matter?
And how many times has this happened to you?
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

It would not be any good if you lacked room. He'd be forced to be confined to a small space, which would not be any more ideal. However, it is still up to you. Also realize, he may not even be sick.Just cold and stiff because of the lack of care in most (if not all) stores that carry them.

If you went for him, quarantine everything he uses (net, bowl/tank, etc) just in case it is something more serious.

I have passed up a good many bettas. One was a almost perfect HMPK red with green flecks (dragonscale line, he was metallic). Because I lack the room or equipment. And it sucks. A lot.

Also noticed you posted about velvet... I would recommend focusing on your poor fella. Don't want to be overwhelmed!!

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
It would not be any good if you lacked room. He'd be forced to be confined to a small space, which would not be any more ideal. However, it is still up to you. Also realize, he may not even be sick.Just cold and stiff because of the lack of care in most (if not all) stores that carry them.

If you went for him, quarantine everything he uses (net, bowl/tank, etc) just in case it is something more serious.

I have passed up a good many bettas. One was a almost perfect HMPK red with green flecks (dragonscale line, he was metallic). Because I lack the room or equipment. And it sucks. A lot.

Also noticed you posted about velvet... I would recommend focusing on your poor fella. Don't want to be overwhelmed!!
Well... lol... I have a critter keeper that I need to sanitize. So I have a tank, and one more space on a shelf...
And I looked at him for awhile. It seems like a physical condition. He literally swims like he has no spine.

Ohhh that sounds gorgeous. <3 I've had to pass up many as well, but I've just never thought about them days after before.

Ah, yes! My rescue fully recovered today! He's all healthy and happy now. I'll be medicating him for the last couple of days before transferring him to his permanent home. <3
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Very good :) I have never encountered velvet... What is used to treat it?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #5 
Tonksy

Quote:
Very good :) I have never encountered velvet... What is used to treat it?
I use Mardel Coppersafe and Aquarium Salt. Velvet photosynthesizes, so I also have to cover his tank and stick it in a dark place (like my closet) so the little buggers don't continue to multiply.
This was my first encounter with Velvet, but it's similar to treating Ick. :)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Huh, good to know. I have to make sure to have some meds on hand "just in case" (though, never really had it happen?)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #7 
Tonksy

Quote:
Huh, good to know. I have to make sure to have some meds on hand "just in case" (though, never really had it happen?)
I hear if you have IckGuard, or other certain Ick medications, that it works on Velvet as well, but don't quote me on it.
I was surprised at how easy it was to cure. Luckily I caught it in an early stage.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Huh. I always hear "you must have coppersafe" or whatever it is "or else the fish will die". I don't really know what velvet comes from. I've seen columnaris in all stages, ich, fin rot, body rot, etc... never velvet.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 
Tonksy

Quote:
Huh. I always hear "you must have coppersafe" or whatever it is "or else the fish will die". I don't really know what velvet comes from. I've seen columnaris in all stages, ich, fin rot, body rot, etc... never velvet.
Pfft, if it treats it it's fine. I mean unless people are pouring every medication known to man in there, taking a different route to cure something is fine by me. In the end, it's all about making the fish healthy again, right?

Ugh, I had a strain of Columnaris that was resistant to EVERYTHING. I've never had to treat body rot, but I've had small cases of fin rot and ich to treat. Sickness sucks, but I love getting the betta who are ill and making them better. ;w;
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I had a case of strange... "columnaris" that disintegrated their fins. One had orange "clump" of it on her fin, and died. Marge and Tina got it as dark blue clump... I actually had to choose to amputate the infected areas on Marge, which healed back... Weird how sometimes quick actions (and out of the box thinking) can do so much...

But it is good you've been able to treat the fella. I say, then, if you have the space and ability to keep the tank warm, you should get the fella.