Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #81 
Tabbie82

Hahaha! I love the idea of reading them a bedtime story! My Feng, who died last week, used to blow "kisses" at me. Whenever I went near his tank, he would come over, wiggling, and would quickly and repeatedly open and close his mouth at me. Being the person I am, I would do it back to him. I used to tell people that saw this happening that we were talking and I speak fish, so butt out.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #82 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I have not had my boy for even a week yet and may already be making a list of a thousand different gravel and tank decorating ideas.. I figure giving his tank an overhaul on the 100 percent water change days might keep him amused on the days I need to be on campus till nightfall...
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #83 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklette View Post
I got bit by the beta bug too. I have 1 female beta and love her to bits. She is in a 2.5 gallon tank with so many plants and decorations that not all of them fit so I switch them around every once in a while. I would love to get another fish, but it takes me more than 5 hours just to do a 100 % water change and rince everything in her tank. I am quite sore when I clean her tank, not only that, I live in a nursing home and have very limited space.
Careful! :D cleaning that thoroughly could deplete the beneficial bacteria that help to break down waste in the tank. Don't get yourself too sore haha
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #84 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
Careful! :D cleaning that thoroughly could deplete the beneficial bacteria that help to break down waste in the tank. Don't get yourself too sore haha
now that u said it..I wonder if any of you guys ever tried those "pro-biotic" products? those they claimed to "contain" "good" bacterias and help to "balance" the cycle?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #85 
Corsica

Yeah sure. NOW I read this. I should have read this in February before I brought the first two home. Now we are up to 6!!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #86 
Kaxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklette View Post
I talk and give kisses to mine for hours too. Now Jewel kisses me back! It's not just her typical fish kisses, I know she's giving me kisses because her mouth opens much wider than when she's at the surface taking in some air and she's halfway between the top and bottom of the tank (or wherever I am sitting), she's looking directly at me.
Oh that sounds so cute!

I've been thinking about training Addie to do things since she seems to have a decent attention span or at least, unlike Henry, will spend a lot more time staring at me whenever I come to the tank. I need to prove my dad wrong. He claims fish are so dumb that they'll probably finish their natural lives by the time you finish training them. >_>
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #87 
Snoeflayke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaxen View Post
Oh that sounds so cute!

I've been thinking about training Addie to do things since she seems to have a decent attention span or at least, unlike Henry, will spend a lot more time staring at me whenever I come to the tank. I need to prove my dad wrong. He claims fish are so dumb that they'll probably finish their natural lives by the time you finish training them. >_>

Well, my baby, that I've had less than a week, already knows to nip at my finger to get me to dip my finger further so he can get the food...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #88 
Shybear22

Lol I think I have it too (:
Shybear22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #89 
chicklette

Bniebetta, do you mean I'm cleaning her tank too much? The smaller container I put her in when I clean her tank, holds 2 or 3 cups of her own water, then when I put her back into her larger tank, that water goes with her. So when I say I'm doing a 100% water chsnge, it's not actually 100. It's 2.5 gallons minus 2 or 3 cups.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #90 
bniebetta

(Don't worry, my 100% changes are more like 90%) I think that's fine but you probably don't want to scrub things down. Make sure and get rid of the loose debris but the bacteria grows on surfaces so try not to disrupt it too much :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote