Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #11 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
I believe 20% in a 2.5 gallon tank is not enough. I believe you need to be doing a 50% and a 100% water change every week minimum.
Yeah I never even got the chance to do any of those since I've only had her for about a week now but I will defiantly be doing 50% (she stresses fast when I do 100% or she has the past few times)
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #12 
Jexx

Maybe do 50% every other day in that case.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #13 
Roemgie

Quote:
I believe 20% in a 2.5 gallon tank is not enough. I believe you need to be doing a 50% and a 100% water change every week minimum.
I have always thought that partial changes in 2.5 was crazy unless of course I had a cycled tank. Then a lady was telling me she would do between 20-50% (or I thought) every week and once a month she would do a full 100% water change. That's why I was going to try and I was going to test for ammonia to make sure that nothing would go over board. Of course I've only had her for about a week and 3 days. I got her last Saturday and I did a 20-25% water change on Friday before I went home for the weekend. I got back late Sunday and didn't notice anything different with anyone. I tested their water on Tuesday when I realized her eye was funny. Her ammonia levels weren't 100% zero but they we're that close to .25 ppm either. But when I saw her eye I jumped to do a 100% water change and then add the only medication I had.

I am defiantly going to stick to it! I read off of a thread on her (From Sticky) that Epsom salt can be used along side the medication. So once I get out of classes and off campus I'm going to CVS to get non scented Epsom Salt and I'm going to follow the instructions that I've found. I'm not sure if I should be doing water changes while using the Maracyn medication though :(
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #14 
Roemgie

Quote:
Maybe do 50% every other day in that case.
I also have done kind of an experiment with all my fish. When I use a clear cup (doesn't have to be white clear, one of my resident's bettas was a dark blue and I was using a dark blue clear cup for him and he seemed perfectly relaxed, almost scared me sometimes lol) everyone seems fine. But when I took my resident's fish and put him in a red solo cup (sold red outside white inside but looks light red) he panicked. He had a BRIGHT stress line and really would not calm down. But when using the clear cup (which had a crack in the side so I had to through it out) he was fine. I've also found that with my blue girl (still to be named!) she was absolutely stressed in the red solo cup so I now need to get clear cups for everyone so that no one stresses out again (I cannot really tell if my white girl is stressed because I cannot see the stress line but I do believe she is).

But anywho just a heads up on what I've found stresses bettas and what doesn't :P I don't ever use nets with them anymore because I don't want to be hurting anyone!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #15 
Jexx

I believe with the Maracyn, you are supposed to change the water every day that you add a dose. you are supposed to add the medicine to the new water.
what does it say for dosing?

also that's pretty interesting about the cups!!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #16 
Roemgie

Quote:
I believe with the Maracyn, you are supposed to change the water every day that you add a dose. you are supposed to add the medicine to the new water.
what does it say for dosing?

also that's pretty interesting about the cups!!
I didn't know that's what you're suppose to do but I'll do a 20% water change today and add it into her new water (that would make sense) and it says 2 packs for the first day (for every 10 gallons) and then one pack for the next 4 days. I have marked a test tube for how much I need for a 2.5 so I'm using as best measurement that I have (without actually measuring the amounts).

And yeah I thought so as well and I'm glad I was at least paying enough attention to that to know what helps relax them and what doesn't! But I should do a thread for that :D
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #17 
Jexx

you should definitely do a thread for that! I am sure many ppl would be very interested.
I read online that when treating with maracyn in a small tank you will want to do a 50% water change every other day and add the appropriate amount of medicine to the clean water.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

Usually people recommending to take combo of Maracyn 1 and 2. Because one is for gram positive bacteria and another for gram negative bacteria. So if you can use both of them . And you can follow instruction on the box or i would use medications along with 50% daily water changes . Of course you will have to redose with medications new water every time you do a change. There is nothing wrong to do water changes along with med's i even know people who recommending to do 100% water changes along with med's.
About Epsom salt i would hold on , you can use it later after medications if he still need it. But i would buy it any way. And also just in case buy aquarium salt . You can find it at any pet store. It also antibacterial/fungal . Give us update so we can decide which salt you need to use.
About water changes for 2.5 gall really try to do 1-50% and 1-100% a week , i really think it the best water changes. I actually also don't use a net i am afraid to damage their fins. I am using cups to lure them in.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #19 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Usually people recommending to take combo of Maracyn 1 and 2. Because one is for gram positive bacteria and another for gram negative bacteria. So if you can use both of them . And you can follow instruction on the box or i would use medications along with 50% daily water changes . Of course you will have to redose with medications new water every time you do a change. There is nothing wrong to do water changes along with med's i even know people who recommending to do 100% water changes along with med's.
About Epsom salt i would hold on , you can use it later after medications if he still need it. But i would buy it any way. And also just in case buy aquarium salt . You can find it at any pet store. It also antibacterial/fungal . Give us update so we can decide which salt you need to use.
About water changes for 2.5 gall really try to do 1-50% and 1-100% a week , i really think it the best water changes. I actually also don't use a net i am afraid to damage their fins. I am using cups to lure them in.
I don't have maracyn one or plus, and when my boy had pop eye way back when I just used Maracyn and it seemed to at least help everything go down. Only I never did a water change during the treatment and he was in a 5 gallon (uncycled at the time because I didn't know what I was doing)

I do have aquarium salt but I then found out that it really isn't as great as Epsom salt (well it's not as 'soft') but in reading I was told to not use AQ salt along with medication, only to wait afterwards.

Right now she is kind of having trouble staying straight. She seems to be having swim bladder issues (I'm assuming is from when I over fed her Monday). I am not positive it would still be going on but I haven't really given her a food free day (until today).

I am hoping once I get the clear cup she will be more relaxed and won't hate me every time hahaha but we'll defiantly see. I may do 100% every two weeks and 50% in between then. That way I'll make sure the ammonia levels don't get too high but I also won't be stressing them out.

Also I did about a 20-25% water change just now and added her days dose of Maracyn Two with the new water. I have put it in and am now just hoping that helps. When using the medication before I would only do water changes at the end (in reading it says water changes aren't necessary but since it's not a cycled tank I probably should anyway).

I was also going to buy Maracyn Plus unless I hear bad things about it. I know bettafix will harm the betta more than help it heal so that's why I don't like the idea of medication so I'll also stock up on Epsom salt.

Here are some of the pictures I just took:

So here is a cropped picture of one I took

Here she is again, she was swimming down and trying to 'get to me' hahaha she's so sweet! Cropped

Here's another picture of her 'bad side' cropped

Here's a picture of her good side, Cropped

Trying to capture what she looks like head on, Cropped

I don't know if you can tell be she's swimming a little sideways, which is what I believe is her swim bladder issue...she seems to be getting better as I watch her though, and this is her bad side. Cropped

She looks so pitifully sad in this picture :( and this is her bad side, cropped

Another comparison cropped, her left is the bad side and her right is the good side

Uncropped picture of her

Another uncropped picture

Another cropped picture of her bad side

One of the best I think of her from a head on angle, cropped

Another cropped photo

Cropped of her 'bad side'

I know that's a ton but I hope it's helpful!

Last edited by Roemgie; 03-20-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: To add more writing
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

It ok if you using just Maracyn if you can i would still do daily water changes along with meds and redosing.
Maracyn plus is very good medication for bacterial infection. Just now you don't need to use it since you already using another one.
He can't stay straight you saying, and he is not really bloated i would fast him like you saying you did today. See if he will get better. If he get better then it good you can start feeding him tomorrow but start with a little bit of food. Not sure how much you usually feeding him? Don't give him freeze dried blood worms or flakes. Also if you can find frozen dapinia in the store it also good when betta constipated. If he is not better then you can use Epsom salt.

About water changes if you will try to do 100% every 2 weeks then do 2 or even 3 -50% water changes a week and vacuum the gravel to remove all debris out.

About bettafix yes it very bad for betta labyrinth organs because it has tea tree oil in it and can suffocate them. The any medicine with ''fix'' has TTO that can coat the labyrinth which can block them taking in air from surface.

Also you saying that you was afraid to use aq salt once with medications and used Epsom salt instead
I just want to give you an example under which conditions you can use both salts treatment. Well it always also depend on each case and more symptoms to decide which one you need to use.
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot(not plant tolerant)
Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problem, constipation, pop eye, dropsy...

Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what /why you treating . Also usually you need to make daily 100% water changes.
Aquarium salt you can use 10 days up to 14 days in some cases - NO linger than that
Epsom salt is very mild and you can use it long term and in some cases like chronic constipation you can use it in low doses indefinitely.
Both always pre mix first and make sure it dissolved .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 03-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote