Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 
deesseau

My 2 rescues from a LFS

I needed two more bettas like a hole in the head. But, to make a long story short, the nearest local fish store had these twos , with their regular bettas.

They come from a local breeder ; they sell them, in this store, at a higher price than the regular bettas; but they "live" the same way: in a plastic coffee cup, with methylene blue.
So. The little pineapple one was there since January. The pink dragon a few weeks later, i think. Nobody bought them. Their fins were slowly desintegrating themselves.
I went to the store two weeks ago, to buy the little pineapple. I finally decided to buy the two, for a slight discount price; the pink dragon was listless, not flaring, not moving at all. Their girl even had the nerve to tell me that they were not the same i had seen in January and February, but "new" ones!.
I did not take pictures of them when they arrived. The dragon was not moving, not even his pectoral fins.
Today, almost three weeks later, they seem to be fine, with a bit of salt and clean changed water, a few plants and a heater.
Attached Images

deesseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #2 
Jexx

good job! I like how you said you needed two fish like a hole in the head lol. I haven't heard that saying in a looong time!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

oh my goodness that is terrible how long they were there but at least they have a good home now
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Thank you for rescuing them. They are gorgeous ! Just one advice for next time if you rescuing you never know if they might be sick. If you have other bettas always quarantine new ones. Never share any changing equipment between them.
And whenever you using samarium salt don't use a little bit , use full dose of it. Full dose of the aq salt is 1 tsp/gall -up to 3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes and betta acclimation. Always pre mix it first , never put it directly in the tank because it will burn them. It always better to pre mix it in one gall jug for the right dosage.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #5 
deesseau

Thank you for the advice, ANHEL123; i was a bit afraid about the salt; i always mix it, but even at first i used much less than what you suggest.
Can someone tell me what color exactly is the pineapple ? i thought they were kind of yellow; but this little one is flesh colored, with ash grey fins, no yellow at all.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Lol sorry i don't think he is color of the pineapple but i love the name , sound yummy.
About salt, next time do not afraid to use in required dose. It proved on this forum with many people safely to use it to treat bettas. For 2 years on the forum i never saw that anyone had problems with it unless he will include in that 0.0001 % that can probably happen ,which again i never saw.
I will give you example . I worked at the hospital where we had technologist who pictured eyes using IV contrast in the vain. So she was doing it every day about 20 people a day. So for 5 years that i worked there we had one person who had bad allergic reaction to the contrast and died. Sorry that i gave that example .
I also just want to give you an example under which conditions you can use both salts threatment.
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot(not plant tolerant)
Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problem, constipation, pop eye, dropsy...

Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what /why you treating . Also usually you need to make daily 100% water changes.
Aquarium salt you can use 10 days up to 14 days in some cases - NO linger than that
Epsom salt is very mild and you can use it long term and in some cases like chronic constipation you can use it in low doses indefinitely.
Both always pre mix first and make sure it dissolved .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 03-20-2013 at 01:03 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #7 
Jupiter

What an improvement!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

Very cute!! Great job bringing them home!!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #9 
xShainax

Pineapple is a name given to betta's whose scales are outlined in black. Yours looks like one
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #10 
deesseau

Thank you all for your commentaries; i wanted to add that the living hell conditions are not only seen in big chain stores; this is a local pet store, and the bettas are living in those tiny plastic cups. The little pineapple since January.