Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
mari007

reoccurring fin rot

I adopted a sick betta about a month ago. I've had another betta for 2 years now, it's still happy and healthy never had any major problems.
Now the new baby is a bit of a problem. I adopted it from a local pet supply store, they do not sell fishes it was just the store pet and no one had time to take proper care of him. He had really severe fin rot. Which was cured surprisingly fast with daily water changes and aquarium salts. But it seems to keep coming back every week or so in a mild form. Full water changes daily seem to get rid of it really fast and in less then a week it's back again. Seems like the only way to keep it off is a full water change everyday single day.
Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I'm getting really desperate.
Quasimodo(that's his name now) on the other hand though is happy, active eats well and seems to love music, i guess he can feel the vibrations from the water.

Additional info

He's in a 2.5 gallon bowl, alone
The bowl is heated 75-78 degrees
No filter yet
I normally do a 50% water change every 4 days
mari007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 
tngirl92

I'm no expert, but I feel like a filter may be helpful in regulating his water quality. For a fish so prone to fin rot, it seems like he could be more sensitive to water quality than the average betta.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

The recommended water change schedule (on this forum) for an unfiltered 2.5 gallon is one 100% and one 50% water change per week. So you may want to increase your water changes, especially since the little guy can't shake the fin rot.

If clean, warm water isn't sufficient to cure the rot, generally, the next step is to use aquarium salt. However, bettas are sensitive to salt. Using too much, or for too long, can cause kidney damage. Also, I worry about using it if he is a baby who hasn't matured yet. (I don't know if he's truly a baby, or you just refer to him that way! )

How long did you use the aquarium salt, and at what dosage? It has antimicrobial properties, and may help cure the rot - which is often due to gram negative bacteria......but you don't want to use it long term, or in high dosages. If it isn't effective, though, he may need a gram negative antibiotic, but let's see if there's another alternative first.

In the meantime, I recommend upping the water changes. When my guy had persistent rot, I did 100% changes every 3.5 days (twice a week).

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
mari007

Thank you both so much.I don't know if he's really a baby since i randomly adopted him the store gave me no info on him. He seems to be ok only if i do 100% water changes at least every 36 hours. Anything over two days makes the rot reoccur in a mild form.
I added half a spoon of aquarium salt to his 2.5 gallon bowl. Aquarium salt seems to make him a bit more aggressive, jumping to get food and occasionally trying to bite me and flaring too much.
Every time i try to prolong the 100% water do to a 50% instead the rot starts over.
Sticking to 100% daily for now, it's bit exhausting for me and probably stressful for him but that's all that works.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post a photo? Are you sure it's rot, or could it be tail biting?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 
mari007

pictyre

sorry about the bad picture quality. He's currently recovering but you can still see some of the damage.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

When you see the new fin rot, do you see black edges or just chunks missing. Your pic doesn't look like its fin rot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 
mari007

He gets a lot of missing bits and pieces, but he never gets black edges. I'll post a picture if it happens again. His tail starts looking like hair. just separate spikes with no connecting layer. and with pieces missing here and there. and when he's recovering a transparent whitish layer grows over and then turns into it's original color slowly. I think you can see the whitish transparent sections in teh picture. If it's not fin Rot what can it be? I'm worried
Thank you all for the input
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

hmmm, I'm wondering if he's tail biting instead of having fin rot. He may have you trained exceptionally well to keep his water clean. LOL. Seriously, I'm not sure he's getting fin rot but can't say for certain without seeing it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

It doesn't look like rot to me, either. And the white edges would indicate new growth, which is good.

I'm also wondering if he's tail biting. U-shaped chunks missing, with no discoloration, could mean he's tail biting.

It sounds like you're taking good care of him. Tail biting is sometimes just a habit (like nail biting in people), or it could be a result of his recent fin-rot episode, or it could be, well, almost anything.

Personally, I'd stop using the Aquarium salt, and just keep his water clean and warm.

You could try varying things, such as adding some new decorations for him to explore, as it might distract him from his tail.

Tags
fin rot, reoccurring, rot