Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Is a Sponge filter still effective if it's baffled so the water doesn't move

I have this sponge filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...=sponge+filter

Which I am really happy with and it keeps the water clear. One fish in particular does like the water disturbed and another stopped building bubble nests while running them, one is ok with it. I took some Fluval sponge filter medium cut little ball shapes put a hole in the middle,made a slit for the air line and baffled all of them. It's like a sponge boot over the outflow. The water is nearly still now and all fish seem happy. I do wonder if you are really doing much to clean the water if you don't disturb it all. Does water movement matter in the effectiveness of a filter?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
waterdog

Yes water movement effects it. Water has to flow through it in order for it to do its job. Check my article in my signature to learn why and how they work.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

I will read the article. The water still comes out but it's just dripping now like as if you didn't turn a faucet off all the way. I have leeway to adjust height or make more holes if needed.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

You can buy control valves for only 40c or so, which allow you to slow the flow right down to only a bubble or so a second. Might be better to do that rather than try and baffle them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

If you mean the valves you put on the tubing it doesn't do the job. The surface is still too disturbed for two of the fish. If it's something else please let me know.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I have heard wonderful things about sponge filters, but I never had any luck with them being still enough for my guys. :P

Hopefully you can find a solution, but if you can't and you're looking for a cheap alternative in a waterfall filter that's easily baffled with sponges, check out the Aqua Tech Power Filters (I use the 5-15 gallon ones even on my 20 gals), they're $11 at walmart. They're not really quiet, but they've kept my cycles going and I can get the water surface absolutely still with them. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

How do you define not working? Is based on water testing, Whether the tank looks clear or picking up debris? I am curious.

I actually have two of those which I am on the fence about keeping. I bought the fluval sponge for baffling them. The thing I like about the sponge filters is that I don't have to replace cartridges. I will be setting up a 20 gallon divided soon and I may try one on that tank with some sponge filters to extend coverage. Right now I have two "sets" 2 gallons and two 5 gallons that I am running these sponge filters on. The main thing I hate about the sponge filters is they look ugly but I am working a camouflage idea
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #8 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
If you mean the valves you put on the tubing it doesn't do the job. The surface is still too disturbed for two of the fish. If it's something else please let me know.
If this is true then your doing something wrong. There is absolutely no way you can have too much air flow through a valve.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #9 
White Mage

It should look like this

You turn the cap to turn down the flow... I am using one on mine.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Out of curiosity what are your fish doing that leads you to believe the surface of the water is too disturbed for them? Also do you have any floating plants or tall plants around the area of the filter? I have sponge filters on 6 of my tanks & there is water movement but its minimal even with there being almost constant bubble going up. I have floating plants in some of the tanks & tall silk plants in a couple of them to help minimize surface movement in a portion of the tank in case the Betta needs or wants calmer water. Don't base your Bettas happiness or health on whether or not he builds a bubble nest.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote