Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
dorid222

Should I remove my plant?

I just set up my new tank yesterday and put my little betta in this morning. He loves his new house! :) I have a peace Lilly that I bought from the betta section at petco. Since I know better now not to believe anything they tell me, like its ok to have my betta in a bowl with no filter, heater, feed it blood worms and no need to acclimate.
Anyway, I've been googling the peace Lilly and I see it might not be a good plant to have in there.
Should I take it out immediately? Should I replace it with silk plants? Is my betta ok or is he going to get sick, he is just a baby :(
Attached Images

dorid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Don't worry, it's not going to make him sick or anything. The trouble with non-aquatic plants, like the peace lily, is that they rot when they are kept underwater. That's when the trouble starts.

I would take it out now and just keep it in a vase - no need to waste the plant, after all, and they are nice. :)

You can replace it with a silk plant, but hey, why not go with a live one? :) Or several... :p
Some good live ones include cabomba, wisteria, lacefern, hornwort, anacharis, java fern, java moss, anubias, ambulia or pennywort.
Stay away from anything that is purple, has striated leaves, or just looks like a land-plant. Some names to avoid, apart from peace lily, are aluminium, purple waffle, scarlet temple, mondo grass and (I think) Golden Ivy.

The more live plants the merrier, so I would as many as you can afford, of the ones I mentioned. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #3 
dorid222

Whew

Seems like all I do is worry about the little guy. He's my first :) ok so another question...or so
Is it ok to take the plant out with him in the tank?
Is it ok to add new plants with him in the tank?
Do the live ones require a lot of maintenance?
Besides plants, how do I test for proper water quality?
I have an ammonia kit that is really easy to use and understand. I bought these strips but they are confusing.
Is there some other type of way to test for all the other stuff?

Thank you so much btw!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Hey, it's better that you worry than neglect him! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorid222 View Post
Is it ok to take the plant out with him in the tank?
Yes. Your water might get a little cloudy, but it will be fine.
Is it ok to add new plants with him in the tank?
Ditto. However, if you plan to do lots of planting or have your hands in the tank for a while, you might want to remove him to minimise his stress. It's your call. :)
Do the live ones require a lot of maintenance?
Not the ones I mentioned. Mostly they just require trimming every now and again. They do need a decent flourescent light (most of them) but some will be ok without. :)
Besides plants, how do I test for proper water quality?
I have an ammonia kit that is really easy to use and understand. I bought these strips but they are confusing.
The liquid kits are much better than the strips. :) Just keep using the test kit.
Is there some other type of way to test for all the other stuff?
The API master kit includes tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and high and low pH - all the good stuff! :)
Thank you so much btw!!!!!!!
No problems. :)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 
dorid222

Thank you so so much!!
Pulled it out no problem, slight cloudiness on top. He's like hey! Where ya takin my plant, I liked that!!! Lol but I'm gonna go to an aquarium store I found near by tomorrow to get him a nice new plant and a water testing kit!
You rock thanks again :) :) :)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

No probs. :p Aren't they cute, the way they react to things? The expressions on their grumpy little faces are absolutely adorable.

It's a shame I don't live in the US, I've a huge bunch of plant life that I could send you.

Photos when you get the new plant? :)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #7 
DefStatic

You can get the API Test Kit on Amazon for $20. Although I fully endorse supporting your local pet sotres, big chain or not.

Stick with something like an Amazon Sword or Java Fern if buying from Petco. Follow the directions on the package. More than half the plants they sell as aquatic plants are not. But sometimes you can find a decent Amazon Sword or Java Fern or Wysteria in their bunches. Just make sure there are not a lot of dark leaves.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
dorid222

I went to the local aquarium store today to get some new plants but they only do salt water. They recommended a good place to buy fresh water plants but its like 30 min away so I'm gonna go Monday since I have to do (my first) water change Tuesday. I figure why stress him out twice! Anyway I got a silk plant to hold him over till then. I think he likes it :) When I pulled out the peace lily it left sort of a hole in the sand, he loves to hang out there. He swims all around too so no worries it's seems to be a good chill spot though.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

Nice and leafy - I can see why he likes it! :)