Betta Fish Forum banner

New Decor Has Cloudy Film?

476 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CrazyDiamond 
#1 · (Edited)
I have placed a new hide in my tank for Floyd and I have seen things on the net explaining this cloudy film on the walls of a tank but it's not on the walls of the tank, it's only on this new hide. It's supposed to be all natural stone so I'm not sure why it has this clear filmy looking stuff all over it. I put my hand in the water and felt the stone hide but it's not slimy at all, it's like the "film" is just a cloudiness caused by this thing. The fish are fine and I checked my water and everything is fine, ph is good, no ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are fine so it's not really causing a problem as far as I can tell. I just don't want to find out that it's leeching toxins into my water, I would hate to lose my fish! I've had the hide in there for . . . hmm a week maybe more. Just did a 60% change on Saturday (had worms) when I bought my second fish. Should I just clean the tank and take out the new hide? Every time Floyd swims through that crap it gets into the water more and it is slowly clouding up the whole tank. Both fish seem active and totally fine . . . I just don't know what this is???

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, perhaps no one knows what it is. I couldn't wait, I removed the hide after I siphoned off as much of the gunk as I could, it was mucus-like and now my water looks horrible -_- did a 30% change while both fish were cupped and floating around flaring at each other. Hopefully the filter will clear up what is left. I replaced Floyd's hide with something else, it is hardly anything for him to hide in but it will have to do for now, he isn't a hider anyways and very in-your-face so I'm not worried about that. Water is still pretty cloudy and if it isn't cleared up in 12-18 hours I'm going to do another change. Still don't know what that slime build up was all about. If the hide is made out of natural stone shouldn't the slime have been on the rocks too? The rocks are slimy but I'm talking about maybe a coating that was about 1/4 to 5/8 of an inch thick. It was gross.

#3 ·
I don't know what it is. Maybe somebody bought it and returned it and didn't clean it. However, if it were my fish I would do a 100% change and clean everything even the substrate. Slime can be a sign of bacterial growth. I'd just be a little to worried that it would turn into something much more awful. I usually clean the ornaments with diluted vinegar water and rinse well before putting them in my tank and also put a drop of water condition in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.