Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 
osromatra

New Girls on the Block!

Here are the girls I've bought, thus far, for my sorority that is in the works. I have them each QTing. They are all improving, some faster than others, but little by little, I feel pretty good about them getting healthy eventually. If you see something I've missed, or you think they are misidentified either gender, color, etc, feel free to let me know. I am just using google to decide, I very well could be wrong. :)

First up, my favorite. I know, we shouldn't pick favorites, but I can't help it. Her face is such a sweet little face, she looks like she belongs in anime or something. She always looks so demure. Anyway, here's Jerrica Benton!

I'm thinking she is a red, maybe purple-pink cambodian. She has marbling. She is a CT. You can see their Day 1 pics in my albums, but I'm just going to show the pics from today. Except for Jerrica, I want to show you how skinny she was/is!

Here's her overhead shot from Day 1.

And today

---
Next up, Jullanar of the Sea aka Jul. She is a teal/green CT, with red/brown fins, which I guess is wild-type? Not sure... I had to use flash to get the teal to show up. I know she has stripes, she is really young, and hates WC. She normally isn't striped.

---

Next is Madame Razz. This is my red cambodian CT. She is bloated and she is feisty! She is such a snobby eater. She refuses NLS and bloodworms, only eats daphnia, and does so with great relish. Which I guess is a good thing, since they help with constipation. I have her on half-rations, since it appears she is blocked by tropical flake food (her few poops looked like fruity pebbles mashed up. She is already getting new growth on her crown-tips. :)

---

Fourth girl is the Lady Amalthea, so named for her coloring and her little dot in the middle of her forehead (Amalthea was the name of the unicorn in The Last Unicorn, when she was turned into a human). She had a spot in the middle of her forehead. Anyway, I believe she is a cellophane CT, as I can see her innards, and she has teal, green, and yellow tinges to her fins. Today I noticed some darker, inky blue coming in on them. She eats well and is doing well.

---

Number 5 is Lalla Rookh. She is a red VT. She had been in the store for quite some time (at least a month) and I am surprised she is as well as she is. She was great the first day, but did develop a slight bloat and wonky swimming issue, but I fasted her and did some epsoms and now she's better. She is still a little skiddish, and clamps/stripes during WC though. Good appetite and really chomps her pellets. She is hard to get a good photo of, her color washes out in photos and she is always moving.

---

Lastly, Rayleigh Scattering, the one I got as a replacement for the poor bloated gal I tried to save, a dark blue/teal with red (wild-type??) VT. She is doing pretty good, and her coloring is so odd. Sometimes it almost looks purple. She's doing good, eating well, and stripes/clamps only during WC.

---

Thanks for looking!

PS: I think it's hilarious that after 2.5 months of ZILCHO bubble nests, the day after we got these girls, our male, who never laid eyes on them, started to blow one in his floating plant.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 
mattoboy

I really like Madame Razz; There all so cute!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 
waterdog

Very nice assortment. I really like the elegant names you come up with for all of them!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 
caissacrowntails

razz looks like she was a result of "dragon" CT "project, nice caudal :), Amalthea looks like cambodian "color mutation", don't be surprise if later on she's getting red or blue or both on her fins :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #5 
osromatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
razz looks like she was a result of "dragon" CT "project, nice caudal :), Amalthea looks like cambodian "color mutation", don't be surprise if later on she's getting red or blue or both on her fins :)
Yeah, Amalthea, Jerrica, and Rayleigh, all of those I suspect will probably surprise me with their coloring once they get healed, fed, and properly warmed up!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #6 
caissacrowntails

"Next up, Jullanar of the Sea aka Jul. She is a teal/green CT, with red/brown fins, which I guess is wild-type?" Don't think so, as far as I know, there are no wild CTs, unless someone "release" them in the wild. All "wild bettas" found so far are short tail, somewhat closer to PK looks :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #7 
Tabbie82

Very pretty girls!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #8 
dormbettafishery

What tank size are you homing your adorable sorority?
dormbettafishery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 
osromatra

20g planted
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #10 
osromatra

Oh and they each currently qt in individual 1g containers, an inch within the lip. I wc daily, alternating100 and 50%.