Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #1 
paws

I am Going on Vacation (Spring Break)

Well I am going on Spring Break for a week and I have Casper. I have this 14 day feeding gel thing but i seriously rather not use it. I think I should get a atomatic feeder (sorry I can't spell it). Becuase the gel is going to cloud the water. Also I don't really think it is for Betta. OOO! I know since there is a lady comeing over to take care of our dogs she also has to take care of my hamster and now I guess my betta. But I think I should get someone from around the neighbourhood to take care of Paws and Casper.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #2 
Fat_Fender_40

Do not use the gel. Look at this link http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.p...742&highlight= for another thread asking the same question.
Fat_Fender_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #3 
okiemavis

I measure out all of my food when I'm on vacation into one of those once-a-day medicine containers. It might sound a little rententive, but it prevents overfeeding, which is my #1 concern when it comes to people caring for my fish. If you do decide to go for an automatic feeder, test it for AT LEAST a week, but more is better. Also, most of the cheapo ones (under $60) are crap, I've gone thru a bunch of them. The EHIEM one is really good, although rather pricey.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #4 
Flashygrrl

Your tank is still cycling right? You might have to bribe her a little bit extra and show her how to test the water and change some out. Otherwise the odds are too good that you will come home and he won't have survived.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #5 
paws

ok Would it be possible to just not feed him for that week? Cuz' my cousin left her betta for the whole summer without feed it and the platie that was with it.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Well, your tank is pretty new so you don't have any algae buildup that Casper could eat, and feeding a bunch before leaving doesn't work...the main problem is with the tank cycling and not being monitored. I guess if need be the person could feed midweek or once every couple days and just see what happens if there's no other options.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #7 
okiemavis

How large is the tank? 10 Gallons? If so, you should be alright if you do a good clean before you leave, with just one betta in it. If it's not being fed, or is only fed once or twice, there won't be much waste in there to cause problems.

Here's my idea: bettas are omnivores, so they will munch on plants. You should get a nice soft, tasty plant that your betta can chew on (not something thick and waxy like java fern). Get a bunch of plants in there, and then don't have the betta fed while you are gone. Bettas can't survive for the long term on just plants, as they are meant to have meat in their diet, but they'll be perfectly fine for a week. The plants will help absorb the pollutants in the water and your betta will have something to snack on, but won't be creating too much waste.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #8 
SST

Toss a 3-day plaster betta feeder block in there. That way Casper will have some food while you're gone and that amount of plaster won't affect your pH too much, especially in a 10 gallon. I use the 3-day feeders all the time without any problems. Just vaccuum out any leftover bits when you get back.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 
paws

I am going to the petstore today so I will get lots of plants for him to munch on. May you suggest a type of plant?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #10 
okiemavis

Look for Azolla (a floating plant, your betta will love it for bubble nest building too), Elodea, Brazilian Pennywort and Anacharis. Also keep your eye out in general for any young or soft leaved plant.