Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm going in for a major in Biology this fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #12 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I can't now, since I'm graduating this summer, but maybe I'll try teaching myself. I nearly taught myself Russian and Japanese, but learning the letters was hard enough!
Don't stress yourself out about the Cyrilic alphabet. I have my 2 language credits in Russian (though I couldn't speak or write it now for the life of me) and it was easy as pie! Well. As long as you want to practice it outside of school (which a lot of university courses do anyway). The way my uni does it is Russian, German, Mandarin, Japanese and Spanish they teach at an elementary level, like learning english in kindergarten (they teach you cat, door, wall etc) and then very slowly teach you the grammar. Not like French which they assume you took in grade school and therefore start at a higher level.

Honest to goodness, the Russian alphabet was my favorite thing about my first year uni.

A tip, and I say this because I am graduating in May with BA and know some people who cannot graduate until they get one or two credits... Get your Core Requirements out of the way asap! Try to get your core requirements in first and second terms so you don't have to worry about them later and can focus on more interesting courses that YOU find interesting. Psych is a fabulous degree, I have only ever taken 4 psych courses but I loved them all for the content. Really has you seeing things differently.

Good luck!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 
pittipuppylove

I'll be going back next fall as a third year, but my major status is kinda funky. I started out as a Bio/Pre-vet major, but I'm switching over to Ecological Sciences, which is a new major that won't officially exist until next year. So I'm now switching to a Bio major from Pre-Vet for paperwork reasons and will change my major again to EcoSci at the beginning of next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Seit Jahr 8, aber nur in die Üniversität habe ich es genau gelernt. Ich habe Deutsch für zwei Jarhe nicht gesprochen, dafur ist mein Deutsch nicht so gut! :p
Squee! I actually mostly understood that! lol Meine Deutsch ist nicht gut entweder
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #14 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I'm actually a second semester junior and I started out as a Creative Writing/Secondary Ed Major, but I decided to change to just CW. The most important thing is DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!! :DD
Yeah. :) That's why I chose the school I did. It's more expensive, but only by $2,000. I like it more. It just seems more like home than the other school, and I think I'll be happier there.

Creative Writing seems fun, but I can never write something on a deadline. I have a hard time forcing myself to be creative. xD I heard that some fun topics are given in that class though. One of my friends took it in his college, and he loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Im a fourth year in college! I was originally Human Biology and switched to Physiology and Neuroscience... I would totally do marine biology if they offered it here but they don't :(

Also Minoring in Linguistics!
It's a shame they don't offer it at your school. :( I was actually really surprised both of the schools I've narrowed it down to offer it. I'm pretty excited and it seems like it would be a fun thing to go into. They said that Marine Biology majors usually minor in psychology for like, dolphin and whale training, which could definitely be fun. I'd love to work with dolphins! They're my favorite aquatic creature. :) Well, almost. Bettas are my top favorite, but dolphins are pretty close up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'm going in for a major in Biology this fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome! Any particular kind of biology, or just plain biology? o:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Don't stress yourself out about the Cyrilic alphabet. I have my 2 language credits in Russian (though I couldn't speak or write it now for the life of me) and it was easy as pie! Well. As long as you want to practice it outside of school (which a lot of university courses do anyway). The way my uni does it is Russian, German, Mandarin, Japanese and Spanish they teach at an elementary level, like learning english in kindergarten (they teach you cat, door, wall etc) and then very slowly teach you the grammar. Not like French which they assume you took in grade school and therefore start at a higher level.

Honest to goodness, the Russian alphabet was my favorite thing about my first year uni.

A tip, and I say this because I am graduating in May with BA and know some people who cannot graduate until they get one or two credits... Get your Core Requirements out of the way asap! Try to get your core requirements in first and second terms so you don't have to worry about them later and can focus on more interesting courses that YOU find interesting. Psych is a fabulous degree, I have only ever taken 4 psych courses but I loved them all for the content. Really has you seeing things differently.

Good luck!!
I was doing pretty well for teaching myself, I think. I was using dictionaries and livemocha.com, which is like, a language learning site. Maybe if I can afford it, I'll eventually get Rosetta Stone. xD

My parents both told me to get the core requirements done first too, so that's what I plan on doing. Just get them out of the way, so I can focus on my major. I think it'll be fun, though. I can finally take what classes I want, and make my own schedule, kinda. I'm not forced into a schedule like in high school, where it's class after class, every day. I like that, a lot.

Congrats on graduating soon. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
I'll be going back next fall as a third year, but my major status is kinda funky. I started out as a Bio/Pre-vet major, but I'm switching over to Ecological Sciences, which is a new major that won't officially exist until next year. So I'm now switching to a Bio major from Pre-Vet for paperwork reasons and will change my major again to EcoSci at the beginning of next year.
Wow, that's a lot! I'm hoping I won't be changing my mind and wanting to switch. I mean, I guess I have until I have all my core classes out of the way to really decide on what I want to do, but I don't want to have to switch a lot.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #15 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Wow, that's a lot! I'm hoping I won't be changing my mind and wanting to switch. I mean, I guess I have until I have all my core classes out of the way to really decide on what I want to do, but I don't want to have to switch a lot.
lol It's not too bad - all of the biology-based majors are pretty much the same for the first couple years anyway, and then we have a bunch of other core classes that need to be done regardless of the major since I go to a liberal arts school. And the only reason I need to switch majors twice is because I can't declare a major that doesn't exist yet. But the way I see it is that it's way easier to switch majors to what I'm going to want to do now than to get into vet school or into a practice later only to find out that I hate it.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
lol It's not too bad - all of the biology-based majors are pretty much the same for the first couple years anyway, and then we have a bunch of other core classes that need to be done regardless of the major since I go to a liberal arts school. And the only reason I need to switch majors twice is because I can't declare a major that doesn't exist yet. But the way I see it is that it's way easier to switch majors to what I'm going to want to do now than to get into vet school or into a practice later only to find out that I hate it.
That does make sense. They haven't made the class yet? At least you'll be able to next year. I hope everything works out. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #17 
Laki

Thanks! But it's only my first degree. A Bachelor of Arts don't get very far on its own. I am going in for education (junior and high school). Program starts in Sept, I don't know if I'm in yet but should know soon and would be surprised if I don't get in.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just general biology right now. . . Hopefully gonna get into vet school with it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #19 
Tikibirds

I went to the University of Alaska at Fairbanks and graduated in 2008 with a BA in History. Currently working on a MA in Military history
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #20 
Bombalurina

I think I'd be quite scared of graduating with just the Arts half of my degree. It doesn't seem like it opens up a whole bunch of career options other than teaching or public service. Have you ever found that, Tiki?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote