Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #1 
prosthetik

Exclamation Not sure whats wrong? :(

My poor multi HM, Richard, isn't doing so good. Hoping someone can give me some pointers...

-----

What size is your tank? 5 gl.
What temperature is your tank? 80.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, occasionly frozen BS.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly/monthly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/2 weekly, full monthly.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water ager/Betta conditioner, pH down & at the moment Stress Coat for some damaged fins.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7-8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Torn fins - have been for a while now. I took out the ornament that had a plastic plant which I thought could be causing it. It doesn't look like Fin Rot, very clean cuts etc. Color has faded slightly & he has slimmed down a bit, not much.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, sits inside at the bottom of his divers helmet ornament. Wont eat. Goes to but kinda gives up & sinks back to the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The lethargy I noticed this morning when my boyfriend said he couldn't see him, after about 2 minutes I found him on the ground & thought he was dead until I put the scoop in & he moved under his half log.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? There is API Stress Coat in the water but I also added 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in to see what happens. He wont come out from the helmet long enough for me to look at him properly. I have Aq Salt but not sure if it will be of any help.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope - I changed all my tanks water at the same time & they all have the same additives & the other 2 are as happy as.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, Im guessing maybe year & a half, no more than 2 - got him from a pet store.

-----

Also;
I went to buy a full water test kit today, but it was $50 & I've been off work sick for over a week & havent been paid so I can't afford one just yet. So atm I can only test pH levels, so please dont demand I go and get one immediately.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 
shellieca

May I ask why you are using Ph down? Fish will adjust to your source water's Ph & its usually better to not adjust your Ph but let it remain stable on its own. Can you cup him to get a good look at him & possibly snap a pic? 2 pellets once a day doesn't seem like much, what brand are your feeding? Do you have an in tank thermometer to know the temp is at 80F all the time? Sorry for all of the questions just trying to get a better pic of what may be going on. If you can't get the liquid test kit, take a sample of your water to an LFS or LPS & have it tested, they most likely use strips but at this point it's better than nothing. Since you do a 100% water change it is possible you are having a mini cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #3 
prosthetik

The pH level of my water is pitch black when I test it [& to be quite honest tastes absolutely horrible!] so I added the pH to bring it down. If I havent seen any improvements with him in the morning [its 1am atm] Im going to get him out & put him in a QT tank just so I can keep a visual on him.

I have a thermometer in the tank & my room is a pretty consistent temperature - all tanks are reading 80. I do have a heater I can put in the tank but Im worried it might be too big because it was originally bought for a 20 gl tank...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #4 
prosthetik

Next day & he is still the same. Debating wether to put him in a QT tank or not?