Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Setting up a tank with Carib Sea Ready Water?

I am thinking of using Carib Sea Ready Water in my tanks. Has anyone else used this and if so is it worth it?

The reason why I am doing this is because I have had so much trouble setting up my tanks even though I've done everything I can think of for them. I have lost so many fish that I've almost given up. In my 20 gallon long tank, I cycled it and everything but when I put my fish in, nearly all of them died. My betta also got terrible fin rot again, and all my plants died. I tested the water and everything was great except that my water has a super high ph (8.3).

Since the ph is the only thing that is wrong with my tank as far as I can tell, I'm pretty sure it is what caused most of my fish to die. The only solution I can think of to this ph problem is to buy special bottled fish water and use that instead of tap water. This is very expensive though so I want to get your opinion on if this is the right thing. Thanks
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Long-term, that's going to be more expensive than investing in something like an RO unit, which is a big outlay in the short-term, but works out cheaply for the long haul.

Another alternative is to put peat moss in your filter - this naturally lowers the pH. :)

Make sure you choose fish to suit your water, if you can, such as certain cichlids (not to be housed with bettas), hatchetfish or glassfish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #3 
waterdog

I had the same problem years ago when I first started. My tap water had a ph of 8.5 and was overloaded with flouride. I invested in an RO unit. I don't use the third 'stripping' element in it, just the initial micron filter and the carbon cartridge. My water comes out at 7.2 and I never have to use and chemicals like prime as the unit removes chlorine also. I also noticed that I have never gotten that hard water buildup on my filters that you see on a lot of tanks. I have been using it now for 8 years and will never keep fish without it again.
If you don't want to purchase one on your own, check with local fish stores. Some sell RO water a lot cheaper than that bottled stuff.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the advice. I thought about RO water, but when I asked about it earlier, people told me that didn't have all the minerals that fish need to be healthy. They said that I would have to mix it with tap water. Mixing the water sounds complicated though and I wouldn't want to mess it up and risk ruing my tanks again so I thought bottled fish water was easier. Plus my tap water is pretty poor quality with 1ppm ammonia in it so I don't really want to use it for fish.

If you use RO water, do you have to mix it with tap water and if so, is this difficult.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #5 
waterdog

I don't mix it. The key is to not use the stripping element in the filter. Like I said, if you only use the micron filter and the carbon you get perfect water. If the place you buy water from is using the stripping element, which most don't as they are very expensive to replace, there is a product called RO Right which is a powder you add to RO stripped water to add minerals back to it.

Look at my photo album at my tanks. You can see they look like jungles (except for the goldfish tank cause they eat real plants) and all of them run on RO water and a gravel only substrate.

Can't argue with results, but I know someone will try.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottled water, ready water, setting up tanks