Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #1 
Luminous

I hope somebody here can figure out what is wrong with my fish

I bought my betta about two weeks ago in an area that shared the same water with two other bettas, and one was sick. I bought him anyway because he was a good price and a beautiful crown tail so I figured I'd take the risk. Other than having odd behavior he seemed healthy. His odd behavior is hiding his head in the gravel and spending a lot of time underneath what I bought for him to hide in so he's completely in the dark. The past two days he wouldn't come up for dinner but I wasn't too worried because he was anxious to eat breakfast.

Now he seems really lethargic, laying sideways on the leaf that sits under the water for them to lay on. But he'll also dart around like he's fine. He doesn't look young so I don't know if he's just lethargic from age or if he has an illness I'm not aware of.
Attached Images

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #2 
Luminous

Here's another picture showing how he's strangely laying on the leaf.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3 
Nothingness

Fill out this form to provide the best info possible. Then people can give appropriate advice.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #4 
Luminous

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta buffet flakes. Sometimes give them freeze dried brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily except the past two nights because he was hiding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He physically looks the same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He lays down more than usual, and on his side which he hadn't done before. The past two days he wouldn't come out of hiding to eat dinner.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know what is wrong with him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No but I've only had him a couple of weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, but judging by his face he doesn't look young.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

you should have a heater, heater alone can cure many problems.
the problem is definitely internal. I would suggest to try epsom salt in your water...max dosage is 3tsp/gallon. you premix this and slowly add this to the tank over a couple of hours.

Can you remember what the symptoms were of the sick betta he was with?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #6 
Luminous

Thank you. I only don't have a heater in his tank because it's made for bigger tanks. The last time I tried using it in the smaller tank it overheated. I thought the temperature that it is now was sufficient. I'm worried about getting a heater for the smaller tank as I've heard a lot of them are dangerous.

Is there any difference between using Epsom salt and the regular fish salt?

The sick fish at the store had been laying down in the corner not really moving until the excitement of my fish being taken out got him to swim a bit before laying down again.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

My first bit of advice is to put him in a smaller tank with the water lowered. The fish might be laying on th leaf because it's easier to get air. I know my one betta lays on it the way yours does, but that's only because he is able to flare at my other betta from where it's located.

Also yes,
Epsom salt is usually used for internal problems, whereas AQ salt is for external.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

a good 25watt adjustable heater will work. I use mine in .5 gallon tanks and it keeps the temperature spot on.

the temperature is sufficient for a healthy betta. but that's not really your case.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Also, even if you do regular water changes, you might still want to check the water parameters. My college campus water has an automatic ppm of .25, so the tanks begin with ammonia with them (if I don't take necessary precautions).
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 
Luminous

I had a very busy day yesterday and I was unable to get a heater but I learned that his tank stays at 76 if I keep the top light on. I don't know if it's good for him to have the light constantly though.

I discovered that he has ick. I don't know if its added to his problem or if that's what he had the whole time and that's why he acted the way he has been. I actually thought that he had it yesterday but it almost looked like part of his coloring, and I haven't had him for very long so I didn't want to medicate him if it was just his color. But then when I looked at him today I saw that it is definitely Ich so I took his plants out, his gravel and the thing he his under. I was going to keep that until it occurred to me that he's only able to he underneath it because of the gravel lifting it slightly. He has the leaf in there still so he has something to lay on. Is it okay to keep him in there with the light on without him having something to hide under? I was thinking maybe putting some gravel in to lift up the thing that he hides under. I just don't want to put too much in since it has to be changed every single day. I'll do it of course if its dangerous for him to be in the light constantly.

I only have the Ich treatment in here now. I wasn't sure if I should still put the Epson salt in or if his problem was Ich to begin with. I don't want to overmedicate him, but if he does need the other stuff I'd like to cure him if it's safe to do both at the same time.

I should have mentioned this originally, but when I got him I also got the other fish that was in there in the same water as the sick fish. He had Ich and I cured him, and since this guy didn't show any signs of it I thought that he was fine. Maybe he just didn't show it for a while?