Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #11 
Luminous

This is how he's set up now; I don't know if that's too bright for him.
Attached Images

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

you DEFINITELY need a heater for ich... lol
86F heat itself will cure ich... some ich meds are harmful to fish health (but they kill the parasites before they kill the fish, so you know...)
The average non-stressed fish can fight off parasites with his own immune system. but a stressed cold fish cannot :(

I think if you intend to leave the light on for warmth... maybe put something between the light and water to dim the light.

edit: uh... the thermometer should probably be IN the water. LOL
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #13 
Luminous

Yes I know it should be in the water. It won't reach and I was going to add some water so it could reach but I wanted to post his problem ASAP as I'm freaking out that I might hurt him keeping the light on him like this. I think I'll just put the thing he hides under in with some gravel to lift it so he can get out of the light that way and get a heater tomorrow.

I have my other fish's tank with the heater that is 82, that would probably be warm enough to cure him, right? The fish in there now is the one who had Ich when I first brought him home and I kept him in a container inside the fish tank being that it's a 2 1/2 gallon, so I could always put this guy in a container inside the tank like I did with the one that is now cured but I'm worried moving around so much will be too stressful for him. What do you think would be the best course of action?

Last edited by Luminous; 03-21-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

sure you can float him. the temperature HAS to be 86F as that the temp where ich dies (or rather stops reproducing). just raise it slowly. when you float him inside the other tank make sure to change out the water morning and night. also ensure that you don't mix their water. as for that thermometer, you can just unhook it and drop it in.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #15 
Luminous

The heater won't adjust. The one who is now healthy did get better in this temperature but I also used the medicine. I feel fairly comfortable with it since the other one got better with it. It's called quick cure, I don't know if you've heard of it or not, the person at the pet shop said it works best. I would prefer to do a natural cure though, and I didn't know that could be done with Ich. I'll probably just stay on the safe side and get a heater for this guy tomorrow. I'd hate to get germs in my now healthy boy's tank. It's up somewhat high so it isn't as easy to move the container in and out.

I really appreciate your help. I was so worried my new question wouldn't be seen since the thread isn't new and I'd have been worried sick all night wondering if I was making the right choices.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

I've heard of it. it better be quick because it's a very harsh med. lol.

the best natural cure I know other than heat, is actually ich attack by kordon. you need to use that at 4x the recommended dose twice a day for it to be truly effective. IME...

I do hope you can find your heater, but continue through with your current treatment. you should never stop in the middle of a treatment...

keep us updated~
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #17 
Luminous

I will, thank you.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #18 
Luminous

My boy has looked happy and healthy for two days so I think it's safe to say he's 100% better. He's getting his tank put back the way it was today so he'll be thrilled about that.
Attached Images