Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

fish feel weird...

So I decided to play a game with Patchy. This invloved me putting a pellet on my finger and placing it in the water, and then having him try to follow. Halfway through he got the pellet and so I decided to play tag with him.

Unlike all of my other fish, he decided o ACTUALLY go after my figner, and not away from it. So I ended up touching him a few times while trying to get away, yet keeping his attention. And fish feel funny.

Like, it's not like the otos and their prickly skin.
But, just weird. Like, it's slimy, but not really.

Either way he enjoyed it and he would dance around my finger, but I'm not sure if I'd do it again.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

My girls will nibble on fingers or hand if they're in the tank, there's been a few times that I've had to nudge them out of the way to accomplish anything. So I know what you're describing. I always thought it was neat.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 
Kithy

I've had to hold my goldfish before because he likes to inhale things and sort of choke on them so my holding stresses him out enough to spit it out. They do feel funny :3 I've had to nudge my betta out of the way and he just gets very indignant.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 
trilobite

Haha I love how they feel. I tend to use my hand to transport them rather than a net because IMO its less stressful. Mine chase my finger too, its really fun to see a huge group of Bettas speeding after it like a race
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Shrimp feel wierd, too, like little insects, only less creepy. I use my hand to transport them as they jump out of the cups I use, or get tangled in the nets.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 
jesssan2442

haha I have played that game with one of my betta's before he loves it!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

While I have no problems touching them in the water, I don't like picking them up when they jump out of their tanks. Some of my bettas are 4 inches long and when they get out and start flopping around it's freaky.

My juveniles love when I cup my hand and make a circle with my thumb for them to swim through. They have big fights over who gets to go through the circle and sit in my hand.

Bettas are such curious fish. They are like the cats of the fish world.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 
karbear625

When I went to the Bahamas there were these fish that would come up and rub on your legs. They were like a foot long and it was the creepiest thing at first and I was scared haha. But after a while there were a ton and I wouldn't get out of the water. I always explain them like "Kitty" fish because they pushed and rubbed on you like cats!
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I always scoop mine up in my hands if I can't cup them, I hate using nets because they're difficult to use and hard on the fish.

They feel somewhat like really soft, wet, neoprene, only smoother. You're right though, it is a weird feeling. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote