Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 
itsuki

what are the chances these are broken??

ok so im switching out from a 10g to 20g long. ive removed my fish and drained the water more then 3/4 of it. the water filter (aqueon quiet flow 10) was above the water line (not in contact with water at all) as well as the heater (forgot which brand, its auto adjusting and supposed to stay submerged). in a rush to work i wanted the lights on so the plants could still get their energy i flicked on the power strip and ran out the door. about 4 hrs later my roommate calls me and tells me the filter is making loud noises and then thats when i remember both were out of the water. what is the likelyhood that these 2 items have to be replaced?? ill check tonite if theyre still in operating order but i was just curious what everybody else thought??
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #2 
Jexx

the heater could be burnt out.. what brand and model of heater was it? some heaters have a safety so they turn off when out of water others do not. The filter could still work. Put it in some water and turn it on and try it.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #3 
itsuki

cant remember off the top of my head but do remember reading the instruction manual and said nothing about safety features that turn off the heater out of water
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 
Jexx

ok in that case, it is broken you will need a new heater. do not plug the old one back in.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 
itsuki

im curious wouldnt its auto adjusting temp sensor realize its too hot and turn itself off??
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #6 
AkaRyu

A lot of heaters will turn off it its been left on out of water, but it will be unusable afterwards. So I would replace it
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I had that happen with a submersible heater, and it was, indeed, deader than a doornail.

How long was it on and out of the water? If it wasn't for more than an hour or so, you might plug it back in, stick it in a jug of water (no fishies), and see if it works still. (Put in cold water, then put in the heater with a thermometer and see if it comes up to the correct temp.) That way you'd still be safe with your fish, but you can test it out.

The filter will probably still work, you can test it out and see. :) It'll be obvious within a few minutes. :) I had one I did that with, and it was always louder afterwards, but still works fine. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #8 
itsuki

they were out of the water and left on for 3+hrs. my water filter is gonna be louder?!?! :( arrrggghhhhhh good thing i was planning on upgrading the filter anyways but was hoping to reuse the heater, guess thats probably not going to happen now. well im paying for my stupidity, serves me right :P
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #9 
kyle89

The filter may still work. Its a good brand. The heater I doubt. If it was a glass heater your lucky it didn't shatter.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

It may not be louder, mine was, but it's a cheap one anyway. :) Yours may have better moving parts and might not be a problem at all. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote