Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #1 
JacquelineAmber

My betta pefers to live in a bowl

Okay, so one of the gorgeous multicolored half moon I have. When I fist got him I put him in this 1 gal bowl. Everything was fine. He made bubble nest and was always circling the bow enthusiastically. Finally, I got him his own ten gallon tank, I was so sure he'd love all the space (seeing how happy he was with his little bowl) but he wasn't, at all. He started being a tail bitter and just hid under the little wolf figurine I gave him. "Maybe he was just hungry", I thought. I switched him to a bloodworm only diet, since he always has a hard time eating the pallets and doesn't like the frozen food. But still, the tail biting continued.

Later on I made a not so wise decision to add dividers to the tank. So his roommate was a non-aggressive hmpk dumbo. This he was not thrilled with. Two days later I saw he was biting way too much. Now he lives in a 1 & 1/2 gallon bowl with his wolf, bamboo, and marimo. He even has a little loop-DE-loop routine when he swims by the bamboo. His tail is almost back to normal, now.

Anyone ever have an experience of the sort?

Last edited by JacquelineAmber; 03-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.
JacquelineAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 
Snoeflayke

That's really interesting. Minimalistic living, betta style?

As long as he's happy, healthy, and you can keep up on the water changes, I don't see a problem with a littler home.

Does he have a heater in there?
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #3 
JacquelineAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
That's really interesting. Minimalistic living, betta style?

As long as he's happy, healthy, and you can keep up on the water changes, I don't see a problem with a littler home.

Does he have a heater in there?

Actually my bettas have their own room. It's heated constantly. So there water always ranges 75-85 degrees. (:

and since his bowl is only 1 and a half, its on the warmer side of the 80's.
JacquelineAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 
waterdog

Souds like more of a territorial thing than anything else.

Hey, fish have priorities just like us. I wouldn't want to live in a 25 room mansion. Too far to get to the bathroom! LOL
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 
ryancalif

Maybe your betta has OCD. He sees the 10 gallon as too much space to mentally manage?

In all seriousness though, that is indeed interesting.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #6 
bniebetta

I almost wonderif one of my bettas is like this. He hardly utilizes his 5 gallon space ans likes to sit in one spot. I am thinking of trying switching him into a 1.7 and putting that fish in the 5. Some fish are so weird!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Some fish just won't thrive in larger spaces, it's overwhelming to them. I have a CT that will panic in a 2.5 gal, and he'll hide in the corner, and won't come out to eat, so he stays in a 1 gal, because that's what he's comfortable with.

It'd really fine as long as you keep up with your waterchanges.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 
Snoeflayke

I wish I could have a betta room, but I'd be too tempted to live in there with them!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #9 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
I wish I could have a betta room, but I'd be too tempted to live in there with them!
f I made a betta room my wife would MAKE me live in there!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

How much cover did the 10 gallon tank offer? I've found that most people who run into difficulties with transitioning bettas to bigger tanks, don't provide enough areas of cover for their fish.

Bare or sparsely decorated tanks can be unsettling for a lot of fish, not just bettas.

Some bettas really need to have a definable territory and plenty of cover to feel comfortable in a larger space. Also, because the 10 gallon requires the betta to spend more time swimming, males with larger finnage can sometimes start to self-mutilate and tail bite.

The presence of another male probably added to his stress and wouldn't have allowed him to feel comfortable.

However, as long as the bowl water is kept clean and heated, 1.5 gallons is an adequate space for a single male betta.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote