Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Unhappy Need Some Help

*Note: This is going to be a LONG post.

Okay, so I went on a 2 week vacation and got back Monday night. My Betta tanks were not cleaned the whole time, as my mother refused to do anything but feed them. I could not pass up this trip. I had been waiting and saving up for it for 2 years, before I even had fish. I at least got her to take some scoops out of my Goldfish tank daily (he is leaving for a better home Saturday, he was a rescue), but that was it. The tanks were just... So unimaginably horrible when I got back. I immediately did a 90% change on one tank, as I had to move it back into my room (she painted while I was gone and they were transferred) and got the fish isolated from that mess. The plants in there are my sicker ones, so I couldn't do a 100%. The tank looks fine now and a did a 100% on my other 10g, and it's just the fish I'm worried about. They seem to have lost some colour and their fins seem either ripped, faded or bitten. One guy has got some serious tail bite going on. I am unable to post pics until tomorrow. I have divided 10g tanks, and I'll post the big information thing below:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided 10g

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 Pellets in the morning, 3 in the evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-60% (planted tanks, can't do 100% changes unless an emergency)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes, they are inaccurate, but before I left I tested the water and the strips said everything was perfect. I can't test again until this weekend, when I get the big Master Kit, as I am out of strips and so is my LFS :/

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Bold for female, no bold for male
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He seems less colourful and he seems to have some tail bite. She seems less colourful
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None. He still acts the same. She is a lot lazier than before and has difficulty getting her food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The day I got back (Monday)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have put one rounded Tablespoon of AQ Salt per gallon, just to help with the tail bite.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. He has had fin rot in the past, which is mostly gone now- I have noticed a couple of dark spots, but with the salt for the tail bite I hope that's going to clear that up. When I got her she had a bit of pop eye, but so far that seems to be gone.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.6-2 years. 6-13 months

SEE INFORMATION ABOVE
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided 10g tank, 2 Mystery Snails

SEE INFORMATION ABOVE
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

SEE INFORMATION ABOVE
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

SEE INFORMATION ABOVE
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Bold for female, not bolded for male
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The colour in his tail is fading quite a bit and his tail seems to be curling, if that makes sense. It also seems fragile. A little colour loss
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is making bubble nests like crazy, which he's never done and never did when I got the female next to him. He seems skitterish and jumpy, unlike his friendly self, when I come near the tank. She too seems skitterish. She's hiding a lot in her vase, which I've never even seen her enter.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday, when I got back.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? One rounded tablespoon of AQ salt per 5 gallons
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None at all
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7-15 months 6-13 months

Thank you so much to those who are taking the time to read this and help! Anything and everything is much appreciated!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

try to do a large water change and get the water parameters back to normal again... maintain water quality and warmth and they should improve...

I do have a recommendation. next time if you are gone for 14 days, it will be best to feed your fish heavily before you leave and not have anyone feed them at all during your absence...

I'm currently fattening up my own fish right now on black worms since I will be going on a 10 day trip.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

Thank you, aokashi. I am currently preparing to do a 50-70% change on both tanks, and only keep the AQ salt with my tail biting boy. That is some awesome advice, I will totally do that next time!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 
Sakura8

The fish are most likely reacting to the deterioration of the water quality and now that you are home to change the water, they should perk back up in a few days.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Don't feel bad. We can't be tethered down by our fish, no matter how much we love them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote