Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 
bettathanyou

Black and yellow betta!

Firstly, apologies for the image quality (or lack of), I don't have a digital camera right now so I had to take the pictures on my phone...

So, where I live you can only normally find all-red, all-blue or red and blue bettas. However, in the pet shop I was in yesterday (looking for a betta as I'd just set-up a new tank as I missed having a pet betta!) I saw this guy and I just had to have him.

If you'd have said 'yellow and black betta' to me I probably wouldn't have found it too appealing - I can understand why if you don't like his colouring and the fact that he's not very fancy - but I just fell in love with him straight away.

When I got him home I was slightly concerned because when I eventually released him into his tank his yellow colouring on his tail looked translucent orange but a few hours after I fed him I checked on him and now its a healthy looking yellow to custard-ish colour.

He's also settled in really quickly and he especially loves his java ferns.

I know it's probably slightly too soon after introducing him to the tank but I saw that bettas will bite at the end of a plastic spoon if you dip it in and reward them with food and he's learnt this straight away.

I've had a betta before in the past and that one seemed more aggressive than the one I have now though. He will bite at the spoon if he's hungry because he knows he'll get food. However, at first he would always flare at the end of the spoon if I dipped it in the cluster of java fern (guessing he's claimed that as his territory) but he doesn't really do that any more, would that be because I don't feed him for doing it or because he's quite peaceful?

(Going on here but I have questions and stuff to say...)

Also, I've seen him 'yawn'. He opened his mouth really wide and also flared slightly. Is this normal? I've read fish do yawn and he's not doing this repeatedly or gasping for oxygen...

Oh, and how would you get a yellow betta? Would it have taken a lot of breeding to get his colouration and are yellow bettas like him rare? He's definitely got a very very light blue tinge to his underside and eye so I'm assuming he's had blue ancestry at some point but how would you go from blue to yellow?

Oh. He's nameless right now too (although a friend suggested 'Frederick'? ), any ideas what I should call him (thinking of things to do with his colour)?

MUST ADD.. At this pet store the guy was charging 15 for the red and blue bettas but the this yellow one was 10, any ideas why?

Last edited by bettathanyou; 03-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.
bettathanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 
ZubinBetta

How about "Sunshine"? or "Daffodil"? "Narcissus" might fit, for a few reasons. "Butterball," "Butternut," "Golden," "Poupon," "Mustard," "Lemonade," "Archway," "Icebox."
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 
bettathanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
How about "Sunshine"? or "Daffodil"? "Narcissus" might fit, for a few reasons. "Butterball," "Butternut," "Golden," "Poupon," "Mustard," "Lemonade," "Archway," "Icebox."
I like Sunshine! I think you've just named my fish.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #4 
ZubinBetta

Excellent!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #5 
registereduser

He might be a pineapple betta!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
bettathanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
He might be a pineapple betta!
I just read:

Quote:
Pineapple: "Pineapple" refers to yellow bettas that have black outlining around the scales on the body giving them the appearance of a pineapple.
When I look at him (and also on the third/bottom picture I posted) it does look like his yellow scales have a black outline.

Are they rare?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 
jesssan2442

they aren't very rare in america but they most likely aren't in england if the price was less
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 
bettathanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
they aren't very rare in america but they most likely aren't in england if the price was less
Just wondered. I've never seen any the same colour as him in any pet shop I've been in.

By the way, i'm feeding him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. On the pack it says 'New Perfectly Sized Pellet'. They're absolutely tiny and on the back it says 'Feed 5 to 10 pellets up to 3 times daily' but I've read online to only feed them about 4-5 per day?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #9 
EmmyFishyPoo

Adorable!!! :D
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #10 
Rosalina

He looks like a sunflower :3 But that's a rather girlish name xD
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote