Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1 
karbear625

Betta and Platies?

When I set up my 10 gal a couple weeks ago with a male betta (Ranger) and three platies, everything was going really well and they all seemed happy. Me and my dad decided that we wanted 2 more females, so we added them yesterday.
Everything seems to be going well, except for the new girls popping out fry as soon as they got in the tank. >:/ I think Ranger ate them all and the ones from another original batch, and that's why he hasn't been eating for the past week.
But anyway, I wanted to know if this would be a good arrangement and if it wasn't overstocked? I don't have any intention of adding more fish, so this is probably the final number. We do 25% to 50% water changes every week or every 4 days and the water looks great, so do the fish.
We also tested the water for ammonia and it is staying less than .02 ppm (which is safe) There is also lots of hiding under the driftwood and around the plants.
Attached Images

karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
Crowntails

So you have 5 platies? That is overstocking the tank.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #3 
karbear625

Yeah.. That's what I was kinda thinking. :P That one website that tells you your stocking percentage said I was at 99%. Should I take them back or see how it goes? Everyone is happy and getting along, but...
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I would take them back. After all, they will keep popping out babies, and Ranger might not be able to eat them all. The website that told you stocking percentage (was it AqAdvisor?) is incorrect. A 10 gallon is fully stocked with a betta and 3 platies, unfortunately. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #5 
futurevet

I had a similar question. Can a baby betta live safely with platies? I'm not sure if they are girls or boys, but I have 3 in a ten gallon. The baby is about an inch long.
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

It is possible the mollies will nip, but you can always remove the betta if that does happen. It's only a possibility, not a certainty, after all. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 
osromatra

No way would I do 5 platies and a betta in a 10, sorry. I have a 20 with 1 betta and 3 platies and I think it's just right. Reason being, they get pretty big and nip and have babies so often, I struggle to keep my betta from gorging on fry.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote