Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Selling old tanks to afford new set up!

I'm thinking about selling my old tanks!

This fall, I'll be going away to college. If I go where my fish can be spoiled and have a 10 gallon, I need some money to afford said 10 gallon! I plan to plant it, and I need to buy more gravel, I want a low flow filter, another heater, plus the plants and some other better quality stuff for my fish, like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp and Omega One food. But all of this is going to cost me over $100! Definitely not what I want to spend when I'm going away to college. Ouch!

So, here's what I have. Send me a PM for pricing if you're interested. :) I'm in NJ, shipping is not an option. Pick up or drop off only.

I have...

Tetra Whisper internal filter and a cartridge for it.
5 gallon rectangle tank with newer filter and hood
5 gallon hex tank with filter and hood, filter is on the fritz but can be fixed. Something keeps getting jammed in there and I don't know how to fix it.
4 gallon drum bowl that I'm not so sure I'm willing to part with, but I will for the right price.

I also have some decorations and black sand.
If I'm able to get my new heater, I will also sell my 2-15 gallon Tetra preset heater.

A lot of these things were lightly used and very well cared for. No cracks or leaks in the tanks, lights function fine. Just need to clean them up a bit before they go!

I also recently bought a Marina 360 tank. 2.65 gallons. Have the box, instructions, and everything. I bought it for $45 and it hasn't been used for long. I LOVE this tank, but Tiny Tina doesn't. :( I have loads of good things to say about it, and I would really like to sell it for about as much as I bought it for. I've only had it maybe a week, but I don't think I can return it once it's already been used. I would keep it as a hospital tank, but I would like to get another KK as a hospital tank, as it can easily fit my heater in it and it doesn't have a filter to push the poor sick fish around.

Let me know if you're interested in anything! Please help this poor college student. ;-;
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #2 
Aluka

if you brought it from petsmart or petco, u can return it within 30 days even if its used and stuff in there is opened.

I know cause they sold my sister a 1 gallon with divider and 2 bettas, she brought it home set it up. =/ after i saw it i was like that is too small, and returned it for her.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
if you brought it from petsmart or petco, u can return it within 30 days even if its used and stuff in there is opened.
I bought it from a LFS. :( I'll call them and see what they say. If I can return it, that will definitely help me out a lot! It could pay for the 10 gallon and a new heater, plus the dividers, so I could start getting the tank set up now! That way my fish can get used to each other while I'm home 24/7 to monitor them.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4 
MoonShadow

Where in NJ are you, I *might* be interested in the 5gal rectangle tank if you're not too far away
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Where in NJ are you, I *might* be interested in the 5gal rectangle tank if you're not too far away
I'm in south west Jersey, about 30 minutes drive from Philly. I would be willing to drive part of the way there and meet in like, a Walmart parking lot or something similar, depending on where you are.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

I contacted my LFS and I'm allowed to return the tank! So that gives me $48 in store credit. Unfortunately, my college hasn't replied to tell me if they allow heaters and filters in their 10 gallons, so I don't know if I should get the tank and new heater while I'm out, or if I should just get another 3 gallon KK and 25 watt heater... I have to get A tank while I'm out, since Tiny Tina's in Patriot's old bowl right now with no decorations. I'm either going to get a 10 gallon, 50 watt heater, and plain gravel, or a 3 gallon KK, 25 watt heater, and plain gravel... I know I want more plain gravel for when I DO get the 10 gallon, so I can just fill it with plain gravel. If I do get the KK though, I might pick up some Prime and NLS or Omega One. Maybe some frozen foods too, depending on how much money I have left over.

Anyone that buys the other stuff from me would be helping me out a lot! I'd like to get the 10 gallon established and up and running before I go off to college, so it's already cycled and everything. All I'd have to do is lower the water level until I get to the dorm, then fill it back up and reintroduce my fish, who will be sitting in cups in my cup holders. xD Thankfully it'll be in August, and it'll be nice and hot out so they won't freeze.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

You could still get the KK and save it for a hospital tank.

As for moving the tank with the gravel in it... that's asking for trouble. HOWEVER, if you and your family ever eat ice cream, some stores (like Walmart) sell the big 1 gal buckets of ice cream. Get one, eat the ice cream, and hoard it. You can put all of your gravel and your filter cartridges in there in old tank water, and it'll be the safest way to haul your gravel. (can't tell I've had to move with tanks, can ya? lol)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
You could still get the KK and save it for a hospital tank.

As for moving the tank with the gravel in it... that's asking for trouble. HOWEVER, if you and your family ever eat ice cream, some stores (like Walmart) sell the big 1 gal buckets of ice cream. Get one, eat the ice cream, and hoard it. You can put all of your gravel and your filter cartridges in there in old tank water, and it'll be the safest way to haul your gravel. (can't tell I've had to move with tanks, can ya? lol)
I did. I got store credit back from returning the tank, so I decided to pick up the KK and a new heater for her too. I got some more plain colored gravel to put in Tiny Tina's tank, so when I get the 10 gallon, I can just put the gravel all in the tank.

I have moved before with my sisters' tanks that still had gravel in them with a lowered water level. We kept the water about an inch or two above the gravel and kept all the decorations and stuff inside it where they were, unless it was a tall plant. We laid those down, but otherwise everything was fine. I'll try that though, if I can convince my mom to get some ice cream.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

I also have some rainbow gravel and a Tetra preset heater I can sell now too. :)
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

Okay. I managed to locate some stuff so I know exactly what I have. :)

I have...

Marineland 5 Gallon Hex (hood and filter included, may even include light bulb and cartridges too if I have any left over)
5 Gallon Standard tank (hood and filter included, may include light bulb, but no left over cartridges)
Tetra Whisper internal filter (left over cartridges included)
Tetra 2-15 gallon Preset Heater (fully submersible)
4 gallon drum bowl
Multi colored gravel (5 gallons worth)
Black sand (10 gallons worth)
Siphon
Lots of decorations and fake plants

Some things I may be willing to ship, but I would much prefer pick up only. I live in south NJ. PM if you're interested. :) I'll give you my town so you can figure out how far you are from me, if you'd want to pick up. If you want it shipped, give me your postal code and I'll figure out shipping costs.