Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 
itzBlitz

new betta owner - worried

yesterday i purchased my first betta. ive always wanted one, but didnt know
about them, besides that they look awesome. so i decided to take the plunge
and now im kind of regretting it. i purchased from a local petsmart, and got as
much information as possible from the "fish lady". i dont have alot of room, so
i went over different options with the sales lady, what type of tank would be
required. i was was misled to think that a 1 gallon fish bowl would be a good
option, for a betta. now that i have my betta, ive been doing tons of research.
i know now that i should have done the research first and not just trusting
what the sales person was telling me. now im worried about my betta, im already
loving my betta. i dont have the room for a larger tank, my betta seems happy.
he's already had his first meal, and it went well. he swims around alot. watches
me, follows my finger, like to blow bubbles. looks very relaxed. im really worried
about the tank size. will he be ok? any other feedback would be appreciated.

here are some pictures of my betta pinkman:

itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 
MikeJones

You will get mixed response on this. I have kept Betta's happily in a 1g tank. Some things that you definately need to ensure a happy betta in the 1g. Get a heater & a thermometer & keep the temp around 80. I use the Hydor slim 7.5w heater, it can go above or under the gravel. You will need to do water changes 2-3 times per week, I do 50-75%.

If he seams happy now, then this is all you will really need to do to keep a very happy & healthy betta. I hope this helps
MikeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 
itzBlitz

thanks very much for the quick reply, im gonna grab the heater and thermometer
today. also thanks for the additional information, much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
waterdog

There are people that keep them in small bowls. It takes a little more work, but can be done. Read the article on water changes. You will need two 50% and one 100% change weekly.
Also, you need heat. I don't see a heater?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
DreamerHorse

I love your betta fish. He's so pretty. ^.^ I've had the same bowl, but I upgraded to a 1.5 gallon tank. My betta Val absolutely loves draping himself over that red green plant.

It's up to you what you decide to do, but I've found that tanks are easier to take care of.

Good luck on your new fish.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 
AkaRyu

I had my betta in a 1/2gal for two weeks or so and he was happy (granted he was young and rather small) but he's been put in a 3 gallon tank since then. Walmart sells the tetra cube tank with lights and a filter for 30$ which i think is a good deal (just dont use the filter that comes with it, its bunk!) So if you feel really guilty about the 1gal, you could go with that ^^
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Don't feel bad! I kept bettas for years (in the dark time when the internet was still mostly email and frightening chatrooms filled with some unsavory people...) so I only had what I was being told by the sales clerks, and I thought they were oh-so-happy in their gallon bowls with their bubble stones. Those poor fish! :(

I stopped betta keeping for a few years after that, but about a year and a half ago I got my first "new" boy, Buckley. Just like you, he started out with plastic plants in that exact same bowl. Then I found this site...and I know *exactly* how you feel! :) It's a common story, so don't feel bad! :)

Other than the heater and thermometer, another great purchase for him would be some silk plants. They're usually a little more expensive, but the fishies are *so* much happier in them.
I had both in my tanks for awhile (plastic and fabric) and the fish immediately started ignoring the plastic plants and went straight to the fabric ones once they had the option.

You can often get a pack of three of the "large/background" type, and those are great because you get more plants for less money. :) Just cut them to size, or even just fold them down into the bowl, they provide a lot of cover for a smaller cost. :)

Also, if it's space you're worried about, is it the tank footprint (how much counterspace side to side) or a height issue? If height isn't so much of a problem, you can often find 5 gallon hexagon tanks that are about the same footprint as the bowl, but stand up higher. If you can go up to the 5 gallon size, you can cycle it, and that makes your life much, much easier in the long run. :)

Cycling sounds confusing, but it's not really once you understand the process and all the terms. :) There are some good stickies on here, check them out for more information and directions on how to get the cycle started. :)

In a nutshell, cycling is the process of creating a colony of good bacteria in your tank. This bacteria will then eat the waste products of your fish, which makes your fish happier and healthier. All fish and their solid waste, and any uneaten food produce ammonia, the fish exude it out of their gills and I believe their bodies as well, it's being produced 24/7 and is harmful to your fish. This is why you need water changes so often. You can't see or smell the ammonia at the lower levels, but it is hurting your fish at any concentration.
This is why the cycle is good, because the beneficial bacteria that happen through cycling the tank eat up the ammonia, which lessens your water changes and gives a better quality of life for your fish. :)

Think about it like smog or air pollution. You can live in smog at lower levels, but you would be healthier if you lived in a smog-free area. :)

Your boy is so cute, and welcome to the forums and betta keeping! They are such fun little fish. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #8 
itzBlitz

just want to say thanks again to everyone who replied, and really all the people that
contribute to the site. so after reading the replies and gaining more knowledge from
reading threads. i went out and purchased an aqueon evolve 4 desktop tank, and the
necessities. i had a small problem the filter was way too strong. i wasnt aware until
my betta got caught in the in the grate, some of his top fin was damaged
i came across a video on youtube for a modification and all is well now. ive already
learned alot and my betta seems to really enjoy all the space. here a couple new
pics. im planning on getting some silk plants as suggested next week.
thanks again everyone!

pinkman in his new tank:

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

He is so cute! I love his big dark eyes, they show up so well against his pink body. :)
I'm so glad you're here and enjoying your new boy! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote