Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #1 
jana63

Exclamation Oh, gosh, I need help!

Hello, I visited this forum about 3 years ago and found everyone very nice and helpful. I haven't had fish in several years, so I'm a newbie, and I'm in a bind!

I have rescued 10 fish (two bettas). The betas were each in a 1.5 gallon vase with 4 other fish. So 5 fish in each vase! Ugh! There was a makeshift sort of water pump in each (constructed with a straw and butter tub lid all hot glued together). Didn't seem like a very good environment to me!! I couldn't believe the fish survived!

There are 2 betta fish, 3 Danios (pretty small), 3 Mollies (a little smaller than the bettas), and two golden loach fish (each about 3 inches long!).

Okay, so temporarily, I have transferred them into 2 regular tanks (they are filtered, nice and new, but each is only 2.5 gallons). So still, I have 5 fish in each tank (1 betta, 3 danios, and 1 golden loach) and (1 betta, 3 mollies, and 1 golden loach).

This is not good! I've had them for two days - and they seem happy - all eating and swimming, and they don't even really look stressed at all, which I think is weird for what they've been through, but I'm counting my blessings! However, I can't allow this cramped living space for very long.

I have a 3rd 2.5 gallon tank that I bought, and I'm thinking of exchanging it for a 5 gallon tank (that would be all I could afford at this point).

So my thought is to leave each betta in it's own 2.5 galloon tank, and transfer all 3 danios and 3 mollies and 2 golden loach into the 5 gallon tank. I know that's 8 fish in the tank, but that's all I can think of. Do you think the Bettas can handle having one golden loach each in their 2.5 tank, or maybe one of the litter ones? I'm just trying to spread around the real estate a bit, but I just don't have the money for anything more.

Also, I'm just learning that the golden loaches are bottom feeders. I have some big river rocks in the tanks now, and I'm a little worried that the food is dropping down between the rocks and so the loaches aren't able to get to it. They really try to squeeze between the rocks, but I'm not sure how much food they are actually getting. So I'm worried about them.

Thank you for your time and patience with me! I'm trying to learn about these fish as fast as I can so I can be good to them.

Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions for me. I would really appreciate anything! :)
jana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Honestly, I would try and rehome the fish.
The golden loaches, they will hit 8-12" full grown, and they are a coldwater species, they will not live very long at the temperatures that bettas need to survive.
The mollies will also hit 3.5-4", and they are pretty sensitive to bad water quality, which will happen at an unbelievable rate in this tank.
Danios are also too small for a 5 gallon.
I think your best bet is to try and find homes for those fish, and build a divider for the two bettas in a 5 gallon. You really have no way of keeping them all, they need larger, stable (cycled) tanks, and different environments.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #3 
jana63

Olympia, thank you SO much for your wonderful advice! Okay, so I have a couple other questions based on your advice.... do you think it's better for the Bettas to have a divided 5 gallon tank, rather than each had their own 2.5 gallon tank? I've already got the 2.5 gallon tanks, so it would be easy to just to keep the bettas there.

So if I did that with the Bettas, and then got the 5 gallon tank, couldn't I at least keep the mollies in the 5 gallon tank (3 of them) and let the danios and golden loaches go?

Yikes, this is harder than I thought it would be.....but I definitely need to do the right thing.

Thanks for your advice. :)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 
Rosalina

I don't know if you have a petsmart near you or not, but they have these 10gallons with for about 10 or 12 dollars. Down side is they don't have a lid. And I believe the 5 gallons are 8 or 9, so all in all, just paying a few dollars more for 5 more gallons may be a wise decision.

It may work for now, since you want to get them in bigger homes asap, just dont fill it to the top so the betta or other fish dont jump out.

As for the problem with the loaches... Maybe in the tank you put them in, take out the river rocks all together so they can just eat off the bottom. Then later on when you get more money, try and get finer gravel or even sand. However, I'm not an expert at all on golden loaches, and besides the betta, I only know a little bit about mollies from a friend.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 
jana63

Thank you, Rosalina.... I saw the tanks at Petsmart last night (when I got the 2.5 tanks), but without a lid it's a no-go for me - I have cats - and weirdly enough, these cats don't mind water! Yikes! :)

I definitely will put the loaches in a tank without the river rocks....I think that's going to be best for them. Thank you for suggesting that. :)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #6 
Rosalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana63 View Post
Thank you, Rosalina.... I saw the tanks at Petsmart last night (when I got the 2.5 tanks), but without a lid it's a no-go for me - I have cats - and weirdly enough, these cats don't mind water! Yikes! :)

I definitely will put the loaches in a tank without the river rocks....I think that's going to be best for them. Thank you for suggesting that. :)
Oh yeah, if you have cats that definitely won't work. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Only thing I could offer it looking at a good will or salvation army for tanks, or window screens that you could pin over the tanks.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #7 
jana63

Oh, window screens! Thats a good idea! I may not be able to do that myself, but a wonderful solution that I will pass on if I can get these other fish a new home.... :)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 
Artemis

Two words. Reptile tank. Now these are not made for aquarium use so you couldn't put water in them but they make screens separate and 95% of the time, they will be the same dimensions. A 10 gal would be very easy to find a screen for.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 
leahleigh

Honestly, 2.5's are fine for Betta's if you do them correctly. What kind of tanks did you get? Do they have lids, lights, ect?
They don't hold a cycle so you don't have to worry about using a filter, instead get an aerator/bubbler for the tanks and you should be fine You can buy one pump and get a few inches of tubing and get a "splitter", which will have three nozzles, get two air rocks ($1 each). Do twice weekly water changes of 30-50% (works best for my one betta 2.5 tank) and do 100% once a month (or every two weeks). My tank is planted so it's a bit "healthier", but if you're on a budget like me and don't have the space or the money to upgrade, so long as you take care of your tanks the right way you will be fine with that amount of space. It's a bit more work than doing it with a 5 gallon, but it's worth it unless you want to save up and upgrade. My fish Baxter is perfectly happy in his planted 2.5.

Olympia was right, rehome all of those fish except the bettas.
Dividing a 5 gallon tank for a beginner would honestly just be a mess, it's A LOT harder to keep the water levels stable from my experience. You could manage the mollies in a 5 gallon but it could get quiet messy, rehoming them seems like the best option so far, because you can't keep all of them. Either the Mollies or the Danios.

Things you need: Heater, Water Conditioner, Thermometer
Things you should invest in: Low-light plants, Bubbler/Aerator, better spectrum light.
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #10 
jana63

Thank you, Leahleigh! :) I bought the two 2.5 gallon tanks at Petsmart. They have a lid and light (I didn't get a heater - do they make them for 2.5 gallon tanks that won't make them too hot?). I liked the tanks because they seem secure (I have cats), and the filter is a low flow, so it's very quiet (what I've read is best for bettas). They have a 5 gallon tank that is just the same as what I've got, but it was more expensive, of course.

I can see now I'm definitely going to have to rehome the loaches, although I just don't know where! I don't know anyone with fish.

I'm still thinking that if I got a 5 gallon tank I could keep all the mollies and danios in there by themselves (6 fish), and then the bettas would each have their own 2.5 gallon tank - and then try to rehome the loaches. Sound okay?