Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 
mld02004

honey gourami and betta?

I have one honey gourami (male) in a community 10 gal with 2 small clown loaches and a few tetras. I am thinking of moving one of my male bettas into this tank but I have read that bettas sometimes fight with gouramis. Anyone have experience with honey gourami and bettas? The gourami is quite small (I believe they are considered dwarf).
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Yes, bettas and gouramis will fight - they are both from the anabantoid family and too closely related to co-exist. :)

Just a note: clown loaches get a foot long and need schools of six, so I hope you have a very large tank for them to go into soon! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 
mld02004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Yes, bettas and gouramis will fight - they are both from the anabantoid family and too closely related to co-exist. :)

Just a note: clown loaches get a foot long and need schools of six, so I hope you have a very large tank for them to go into soon! :)
I've owned clowns for years; the 10 gallon is only while they are very small. I have another large tank that they will move into eventually.

I know betta and gouramis are closely related, but read conflicting info online about if they will fight. Having had both dwarfs and regular gouramis, the dwarfs are more peaceful.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That is a myth. I have seen quite a few members do it successfully, just make sure there is a lot of cover. Bettas will not mistake different species.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I didn't think it was because they confused the species, I thought it was because they are two territorial fish who would see the other species as a challenge. I stand corrected. :)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are competing for the same resources so it is highly possible. Honeys are more peaceful than others but you can still run into issues. . . Fish behavior is unpredictable so it all depends on how much risk you want to take.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #7 
mld02004

Thanks for all the info, folks.

There are plants and caves, so I think it would be worth trying and monitoring closely while I am home this week. This particular male betta rarely flares even though he can see another betta through the divider so it might work.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

I'd suggest just making sure you have another tank or home on hand...just in case. ;)
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #9 
mld02004

I do have a QT if needed but it appears so far (two days) everyone is getting along fine. No aggression and eating normally. I'll continue to keep a close eye but so far so good.