Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1 
Bluewind

Male wont eat after spawning

Thanks to a happy accadent over the weekend, my little Camii got her groove on with Gus and now Gus is the proud daddy of a healthy brood of little wiggletails and I'm unprepared! (Why couldn't he have done this when I was planning on it?!?). Anyway, I can't get little man to eat a thing. It's been 4 days now and all he wants to do is fuss over his fry. I tried taking him out to see if that would help, but that just led to him becoming very depressed. He's not too skinny yet as I have always fed him a healthy diet and kept him fit, but I don't want him to end up killing himself! :(

Also, I'm gonna do a heavy cull in 2 weeks and just raise a few dozen of the fry to adulthood. Mom is yellow VT with purple stripe on her tailfin and dad is brugandy and blue metalic VT. Any clue what the babies could end up favoring?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 03-20-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #2 
Artemis

I have never bred bettas but I do research and feed him what the fry are eating and let him go. If he isn't eating the fry it isn't a huge problem, they can technically go longer then 1 week without food but obviously not good so drop in some live brine shrimp and see if that helps maybe? But take my advice with a cube of sugar in a sack of 100 :)
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Have you taken him out of the spawning tank? What are you feeding him?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 
Bluewind

See my edit Matt. I had already planned on dad in method. No, he's not eating the fry. He is very protective of them and surprisingly gentle although he will go down and scoop them back up and put them on the top leaves if the wonder too far.

I wasn't planning on this to happen til May, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants and doing a lot of improvising. As long as enough fry survive to adulthood to give my sis a sorority, that's all that matters. I most likely will give the rest as gifts.

He has had a diet of Omega One Betta Buffet and Freeze Dried Bloodworms. He has refused those along with flakes.

The fry seem to be doing well on my emergancy fry food (1 LFS in 60 miles of here and they were out and wont have any for weeks!) which is hardboiled egg yoke that has been strained and crushed to make the particles smaller. I scrape off a small very amount and place it in an eyedropper and mix it with warm water before giving it to them 3x a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 03-20-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
Option

My male during my most recent spawn ate frozen bloodworms like crazy! Didn't affect his fatherly instincts either. Then after I took him out he ate after just a few hours in the quarentine tank.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #6 
Myates

So.. you weren't prepared yet you put them together and are surprised that they spawned?

You need to raise the temp to 84, find someone asap to buy BBS and micro cultures from and get them overnighted to you to feed the fry.. as they won't eat anything not alive. And their food is too small for dad to eat.

Not uncommon for fathers not to eat for days after spawning. What keeps them healthy and alive is conditioning them, which I doubt he had, as all he eats is one brand of pellets and an unhealthy food of freeze dried.. I would suggest getting frozen food and offer it to him to help build his strength back up.. live food is better.

You will need to clean the tank daily, using an airline tube... how big is the tank? You will need to set up a drip system, as doing regular water changes like normal isn't safe for the fry.. they need real slow acclimation. If the tank has a filter you will need to turn it off and get a sponge filter.. if your tank is over 5g and is cycled, be aware that the cycle will most likely crash, which will end up killing the babies.. but you can't have a HOB filter with fry.. if you had placed them in a breeding tank properly set up, then ignore that.

The egg yolk fouls up the water very quickly, so make sure to clean the tank after each feeding.. They most likely won't eat fry food.. I still can't get mine to eat anything not alive for the first couple of months. Betta fry need live foods to grow, the fry food won't really cut it for their needs. It's great for guppies though..

Unsure what you expected or wanting from this spawn.. you will have VT fry of all different colors - if they are pet store bettas then their genes are unknown and you can end up with all sorts of colors. I would start looking now to see about finding them a home - as VTs can be very difficult to sell (not many are willing to pay $35 shipping + cost of fish for a $2 fish). So would see if there are pet stores nearby willing to take them off of your hands.. most likely they won't give you anything for them, but at least it would be a chance at finding a home.

What is done is done.. I wish you luck.. but in the future, if you weren't planning and especially if you aren't ready to spawn.. don't place them in the same tank. You are lucky they spawned and not killed each other.. when they aren't properly ready they get mean rather than lovey.

Make sure you have grow out tanks, enough jars to house the juvenile males when they start to fight, as well as a way to heat all the jars up properly.

Good luck..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #7 
louisvillelady

Is he still in with the fry? Do not be too concerned. I leave the dad with the fry as long as possible sometimes till they are full grown. Most dads will not eat until the fry have their first meal. I always feed them both at the same time. Some Dads will not eat until they give up the nest. Once he has given up the nest, if he is still not eating, I would pull him at that point.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 
Bluewind

Woot! He finally ate. I've been worried sick, so it was good to see him munching down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
So.. you weren't prepared yet you put them together and are surprised that they spawned?

You need to raise the temp to 84, find someone asap to buy BBS and micro cultures from and get them overnighted to you to feed the fry.. as they won't eat anything not alive. And their food is too small for dad to eat.

Not uncommon for fathers not to eat for days after spawning. What keeps them healthy and alive is conditioning them, which I doubt he had, as all he eats is one brand of pellets and an unhealthy food of freeze dried.. I would suggest getting frozen food and offer it to him to help build his strength back up.. live food is better.

You will need to clean the tank daily, using an airline tube... how big is the tank? You will need to set up a drip system, as doing regular water changes like normal isn't safe for the fry.. they need real slow acclimation. If the tank has a filter you will need to turn it off and get a sponge filter.. if your tank is over 5g and is cycled, be aware that the cycle will most likely crash, which will end up killing the babies.. but you can't have a HOB filter with fry.. if you had placed them in a breeding tank properly set up, then ignore that.

The egg yolk fouls up the water very quickly, so make sure to clean the tank after each feeding.. They most likely won't eat fry food.. I still can't get mine to eat anything not alive for the first couple of months. Betta fry need live foods to grow, the fry food won't really cut it for their needs. It's great for guppies though..

Unsure what you expected or wanting from this spawn.. you will have VT fry of all different colors - if they are pet store bettas then their genes are unknown and you can end up with all sorts of colors. I would start looking now to see about finding them a home - as VTs can be very difficult to sell (not many are willing to pay $35 shipping + cost of fish for a $2 fish). So would see if there are pet stores nearby willing to take them off of your hands.. most likely they won't give you anything for them, but at least it would be a chance at finding a home.

What is done is done.. I wish you luck.. but in the future, if you weren't planning and especially if you aren't ready to spawn.. don't place them in the same tank. You are lucky they spawned and not killed each other.. when they aren't properly ready they get mean rather than lovey.

Make sure you have grow out tanks, enough jars to house the juvenile males when they start to fight, as well as a way to heat all the jars up properly.

Good luck..
1st of all, no. I did not throw 2 fish together and found that they have spawned. I had to clean Cami's tank and couldn't find what I normally float her in his tank in, so I just cupped her. When I went back to get her, I saw that she had gotten out of the cup and they were already embraced.

I cannot get that. No debit or credit card. No checking account. And not enough spare cash to do it. The closest LPS is over 60 miles away and they carry no fry stuff.

They have been eating the eggyoke I fixed, so I'm confused when you say they only eat live food. They will just have to make do since I can't feed live. I have been cleaning after feedings and testing water to be sure. I turned off my filter as soon as I noticed the eggs and it's a 10 gallon tank.

The parents were conditioned with freeze dried bloodworms (can't get fresh anything). Like I said, I was planning on spawning them just in a couple of months, not last week. It happened and I'm dealing with the surprise as best as I can.

Thanks. I'll need it!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #9 
Bluewind

Just wanted to post a little update. My babies are doing well and growing at a healthy rate. I've been feeding them hard boiled egg yoke. Today they got their first bit of finely crushed Omega One pellets. They also snack between meals on the algae and plants in my tank. Gus is being very good with them and making me quite proud

I almost forgot to answer your question on what I expected from the breeding. Well, if you see my previous posts, I was planning on breeding them in May. The reason for that is so a nice batch of girls who had all been raised together would be ready to give to my nephew by his birthday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 04-01-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your not feeding live foods?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote