Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #11 
Myates

Yeah.. surprised that they are still eating the egg (which I would stop.. make sure you are doing water changes shortly after each feeding of the egg yolk) and crushed up pellets. The pellets especially are not what the fry need.. some may still be alive now, but I would look into getting them proper food, as it will make a difference as they grow. I know you weren't prepared to breed yet, but should still get the proper food once you saw you had fry. They are getting bigger, they should be pretty much too big now to eat the egg yolk.. order some BBS, and even micro cultures would be better.
How often are you doing water changes and the %?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #12 
Bluewind

Yep! I've watched the little guys gobble it up myself. I crush a pinch of yoke very fine, mix with water in an eye droped, shake, squirt out any thick pieces, and add it in. I also have a mystery snail and ghost shrimp which are a handy little clean up crew and a mostly NPT. Because of all that, my levels are staying good and healthy and Amonia is holding at 0. I have an occasional 0.25 spike, but that is my well water itself and that goes in cycles.

Like I said, I can't get live food. I can't even get dry fry food from the idiots around here! They said "Give 'um flakes. It's the same thing" (rolls eyes). My OL time is limited to a phone and the only way I can pay for things is with cash, so if I can't get it from them, I have to improvise. And then there's the whole money thing as I hadn't expected the expence until May. At least by then I could have found someone willing to send me a culter for a moneyorder, but sometimes life happens and ya have to do the best you can.

->

Last edited by Bluewind; 04-02-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #13 
Bluewind

->
My pwc have been running about... 5 gallons /2-3x a week in a 10 gallon tank. Very slow drip out (takes hours) and slow back in (a tad faster to maintain the integraty of water temp) with water within 2 degrees of tank temp. The suction is so light that the babies can swim right up to it and in fact do out of shear curiosity.

I didn't have to do my 1st cull as the tank's inhabitants did it for me as it's not possible for all the little fry to be as healthy and active as they are! I'm grateful for it

I'm glad I at least got to do a bit of research on the dad in method before the spawning happened. Leaving dad with the babies usually makes them less agressive as adults. I was just going to give my nephews a male each, but now I'm thinking a shared tanks with females would be better for them AND my siister. I might sell the others and put it towards a 10 gallon tank for them. She has an old setup (she did sw one) in storage but its glass is broke
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 04-02-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #14 
JJChocolate88

hey seems like you're doing alright so far if they are still alive I JUST took my dad out of the tank this am. he is in the isolation tank and didn't even look twice at his bloodworms.

i am glad ur betta male is eating again.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote