Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Uh-oh Scarlet's a jumper

I did a 100% WC on Scarlet's tank last night for the first time since I got her, and I scooped her up with her cup but she jumped up so high she landed on the counter!
I panicked briefly because HOW DO YOU PICK UP A FISH WITHOUT SQUISHING IT TOO HARD?? But she flopped enough that I was able to get her. That was a close one and kind of scary. Now I know I have to be much more careful when I scoop her out during WC's.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

always a scary experience... fish out of water. How's she doing now?
I'm glad mine doesnt jump >.> I keep my water level at the rim~
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

She's doing fine
She was a little pale afterwards but was back to normal after I acclimated her and put her back in the tank.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #4 
SunshineSulie

Sunshine's tank has condensation on it, and when it drips, she jumps up to try to catch it. Lol ol. She has gotten almost an inch out of the water before! Crazy!
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 
xShainax

Lol, it is hard to pick a flopping fish up. xD I usually have to slide paper under them
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #6 
sainthogan

My female jumped out of her tank through a tiny little hole in the top of the lid. She was out of the water for at least a half an hour before I found her. She wasn't moving and her tail and fins were dried to the floor. I thought she was dead until I picked her up, then she started squirming and flopping. That was at the end of September, she's fine now.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #7 
Meeples

Heh, my female is very jumpy... she jumps up when she sees this green spoon I use to feed. And she has jumped out during cleaning too... landed on the floor, and I also had difficulty picking her up. I scooped her on the spoon and she was white when I put her back in.. but soon colored up and was acting completely normal again!

The other day I came into the room and leaned down to look at her and she jumped above the water and was stuck to the side of the glass for about half a second... then flopped back into the water. She's crazy for me I guess, plastering herself like that.
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #8 
caissacrowntails

quote " HOW DO YOU PICK UP A FISH WITHOUT SQUISHING IT TOO HARD?? " here's what I do if that happen ( it did ), Don't panic!, get some thin plastic/cardboard ( possibly a playing card or something like that ), then drop a small amount of water on the betta ( as long as it's body is wet, it can survive longer, since they can breath "directly from air", remember? then carefully "scoop" it back to your hand ( carrying it with the "plastic/cardboard also possible but it can jump again, so I rather carry it with my hand instead ). and put it back to the tank :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote